vBulletin Connect 5.0.5

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Big al, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Big al

Big al Regular Member

We're pleased to release vBulletin Connect 5.0.5, and we encourage sites to deploy this version now. 5.0.5 resolves 197 issues covering a wide range of components including performance, security, Admin Control Panel fixes, enhancements for the Mobile Suite and a breadth of other bug fixes. Key work included:

• Ongoing work to improve the CSS performance is continuing.
    • An issue was discovered that would expose a hash of your Customer ID in the source code of your install and upgrade scripts. This has been resolved in 5.0.5, and regardless you should always delete the install directory after upgrades.
    Among the many other items addressed are:

• Hover thread preview - Hovering over the thread preview on a forum page will give you an AJAX preview of the thread.
    • Last post link - This link appears at the end of the Last Post Info link on the forum page.
    • Incoming RSS - You can now import RSS feeds into your site to build content. This works the same as in vBulletin 4.X.
    • Thread views - The system now counts thread views as people visit your site. This gives another bit of information to find popular threads in addition to likes and replies.
    • fastDS (selected APC caching which works in multi server environments) - FastDS allows you to store the Datastore, Templates and Phrases in APC's memory. This enables super fast retrieval. You can configure this in your /core/includes/config.php file.
    • Infraction notifications now can be sent to the user's email if they cannot be sent to their private messages.
    A list of all issues resolved can be found in JIRA HERE .
    You can discuss this release HERE .

Separately, in case you're giving thought to switching hosting providers, vBulletin has obtained a limited-time $40 discount for our customers from YesUpHost on their dedicated servers. With this offer they'll be doubling the bandwidth for server purchases at no additional cost. They have a reputation for reliable, high-performance dedicated servers.You can click here to learn more about their offer, which can be obtained using coupon code EC5DC18, valid through October 18, 2013. We hope vBulletin 5 Connect will help you engage and grow your user community more than ever before!

Helping You Build Better Communities,

Your vBulletin Customer Support Staff

Tell us again why we should trust anything associated with VB after what they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Autopilot likes this.
  3. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

What is it with these guys? They post what appears to be an improvement to their product then include an add link to a dangerous site. And I was beginning to think they were getting their act together. NOT!!!!!!!

Big al likes this.
  4. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think it is called incompetence. Even a noob would check out any site that was to be recommended.

If the staff on VB/IB concentrated on helping their customers instead of trying to show how superior they are, then things like this would not happen.

Autopilot likes this.
  5. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

It's only posted because it's an affiliate link and IB has to earn their income some how. If they can get enough people to just switch hosts regardless of what software version they use, they might continue to develop vB5.

PS: Anyone thinking of switching, do your research.That company is so shit, they've been banned from webhostingtalk, they've gone as far as to censor yesup from even appearing on their site.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1136790

Someone be sure to spread that word on vB.com since I'm banned for posting truths already.

Big al, Autopilot and Brandon like this.
  6. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Correct timing.
    I've been meaning to ask this myself for quite some time, but why did WHT censored Yesuphost?
    I've seen WHT banned hosts, but to censor it as well must mean something nasty did happened.

Autopilot likes this.
  7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I agree, I've removed the affiliate link from the OP.
    Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty sad that IB is resorting to trying to make money from affiliate host links in their spammy emails?
    Do other well known established "professional" forum companies do this?

Dan Hutter and Autopilot like this.
  8. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

That's a great idea though I doubt the post would last longer than the time it took the staff to read it.

No way, a fine upstanding lad as yourself was :ban: from vB for being honest? What is this world coming to? ROFLMAO Line forms at the rear son. :thumbsup:

9. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Key word being "professional" which I doubt they can claim anymore. From top to bottom the whole corporation seems to have fallen to the bottom ranks as "amateur".

Isn't this the way IB makes their money through affiliate host links and spamming? Funny how they ban customers from their forums yet continue to send out spam to them calling them "valued customers". ROFLMAO

Big al likes this.
  10. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

There really are more than enough threads slamming vBulletin. A few of you have more or less insured that anyone who might actually want to discuss the 5.0.5 release can't do so in this thread. Thanks.

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Tell vBulletin to stop providing ammo then ;)
    Also you're free to discuss anything you want here, I don't see this topic as being hijacked tbh.

Big al likes this.
  12. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

:weluvxf:

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Seriously though, it's such a mess that it's easy to pick at.
    I mean who else would blast out emails with affiliate hosted links in it, and even worse.. it's a hosting company with a bad rep..

Big al and Autopilot like this.
  14. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Well, to be fair, Internet Brands must pair its shitty forum software with an equally shitty hosting company otherwise the balance of nature will be disrupted.

jmurrayhead, Big al and Autopilot like this.
  15. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

How about this question. If IB were a great company and vB5 were great software and everything they do would be professional, how would you respond to the affiliate link/ suggestion for a hosting company then?

I'd personally think, "WTF?" anyway. That kind of "partnership" has nothing to do with the version release marketing. It is turning an informative email into a piece of crappy spam. Terrible.....

There are also much better and smarter ways to go about affiliating (and trying to make extra money) with hosting companies. Like, why not just make a page of recommended hosting companies on the vB.com web site and give your customer looking for good hosting for the software a place to find them? The chances of making referral commissions would be much greater.

And most importantly, those hosting companies should be worth recommending too!!!

Scott

16. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

If you cannot see it then you really need to get better glasses. ;)
    The topic (according to the title) was vBulletin 5.0.5 Connect, not marketing e-mails, or affiliate links.

17. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    There is more to a thread then a title alone on our forum. :thumbsup:
    The affiliate link was actually part of the content from the OP, which was posted by vBulletin.

Big al likes this.
  18. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Thats a rubbish excuse Brandon.
    When somone posts a topic, people quite reasonable expect the discussion to be about that topic.
    When someone goes to view a topic entitled "vBulletin Connect 5.0.5" they expect that to be the subject of discussion, not yet another useless, pointless tirade about bloody affiliate links or marketing e-mails.

Im sure everyone accepts that topics eventually wander off in other directions, but to be blown completely off topic in the first reply is just lunacy. Why even bother having thread subjects if the thread is nothing about them ?

I think you would change your tune if you posted on another forum about a subject, and your thread was immediately dragged off into rants about something completely different.

19. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

@Paul M You are just trying to highjack this threat to draw attention to yourself AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    @Brandon You can explain it all day long to this crack pot and he will still find fault to continue arguing and splitting hairs.

20. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Still acting the complete tosser I see. Get back under your bridge.