vBulletin 4.1.2 with Skimlinks

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    As part of vBulletin 4.1.2, vBulletin is happy to announce it has integrated with Skimlinks.
    Skimlinks is a leading affiliate technology provider, more information on Skimlinks is available here, they have been around since 2008, and have a lot of experience working with vBulletin forums.

What does this integration do?
    It enables you to easily signup for Skimlinks and integrates it with your vBulletin forum.

Where can this integration be found?
    Under the Advertising section of your Admin Control Panel
    View attachment 4051
    Does it cost anything to utilize?
    Similar to Google Adsense, it is a ad provider and it is a free service.

What is the benefit of enabling Skimlinks?
    Skimlinks enables you to earn revenue from seamlessly converting existing links on your site to online retailers or auction sites such as eBay and Amazon and appending them with an affiliate link. At the time of writing, Skimlinks has affiliate relationships with over 12,000 merchants in a number of different regions to enable you to earn money from. Skimlinks also has a feature to convert certain keywords into links, called Skimwords which you may elect to opt into too.

How much can I earn?
    Lots. Most forum websites will earn a similar amount by enabling Skimlinks as they do with having basic Adsense advertisements – depending on the nature of the website. Sites devoted to electronic goods, and other purchasable items work really really well.

Why will enabling Skimlinks on my site brighten my day?
    Well, it provides you with an additional revenue stream that doesn’t impact your user experience, OR replace any existing advertising you may have on your site. We have even heard people call it “free money” .

Does vBulletin know how much I earn if I integrate from Skimlinks?
    We do not.

Does vBulletin earn anything from me integrating with Skimlinks?
    Yes, vBulletin does earn something from this. We cannot disclose more info because of contractual obligations. However the main benefit to customers is another option to help earn money from your site without costing you a cent.

Does this mean vBulletin takes some of my commission away?
    We do not. Integrating through vBulletin actually provides you with a greater level of commission due to the agreement we have been able to strike with Skimlinks.

So you have been able to do a special deal for me?
    Glad you asked . Yes. If you stay on the program for 6 months, as thanks for joining up through vBulletin, Skimlinks will add an additional 5% to your earnings to date. This additional 5% will be paid for each subsequent 6 month periods.

Do I have flexibility in where Skimlinks works, and who it gets displayed to?
    You do! You can chose what usergroups it gets displayed to, in what forums it works, only in threads past a certain date range, and a number of other options that are under the section “Skimlinks Advanced Options”

Does it just work in the forum section
    No. Skimlinks will append affiliate ID's to links throughout any section of your vBulletin website, CMS, Blogs etc.

I already use Skimlinks…
    Great! You can associate your existing account if you so wish.

I utilize vBulletin 3.X, not 4.1.2, can you help me?
    By golly gosh we can. Link to plugin coming soon...

If I sign up, who will pay me, and how?
    Skimlinks handles all that fun stuff. Payment terms are under here: www.skimlinks.com/faq

This all sounds gravy, how do I sign up?
    Video coming soon.

What about setting it up?
    Here is the setup guide:
    http://skimlinks.com/files/vbulletin...SetupGuide.pdf
    And here is a guide on how to get the most from the integration:
    http://skimlinks.com/best-practices-...etizing-forums

If I have a technical issue with SkimLinks, who should I contact?
    Skimlinks should be able to help you out via your member account.

I have more questions…
    They might be answered here: www.skimlinks.com/faq
    If they aren't – feel free to post a question here.

[Source...]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  2. MadMikeyB

MadMikeyB Regular Member

Meh.

Just had (and having) a massive conversation about this over twitter. The short version is; It's bullshit, and this is another fail by IB, trying to screw more money out of it's customers. I used to love vB, and have been "loyal" up until now, but eh, I don't think I can do it anymore.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't agree that IB should be adding more stuff like this when the core product still needs a lot of work, but I can also see how this would be beneficial for 90% of the admins out there that are just starting up and aren't really educated on their options.

4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Between the Adsense integration and now Slim Links it's apparent that IB is just trying to drive up their revenues. I'm not really surprised. Are any of you?

That being said I recently implemented VigLink (similar to slimlinks) it's been pretty cool. It really is like found money, I did nothing but add a snippet of code to the footer and am earning some $$ off links my members would post anyhow.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've been using viglink, (it was driving revenue) for a few years
    vbulletinsetup.com/402-vbulletin-setup-announcements/46671-driving-revenue-your-forums.html

I signed up with skimlinks because the owner emailed me a few months back, I had tried it but didn't make as much as I do with DR, so I switched back..

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

So basically its the same thing? And it does not seem like some over anticipated great addon for vbulletin. I can not believe they keep adding more crap to what was once easily the greatest forum software ever created. That really is sad

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'm surprised they added it when so much is wrong with the CMS still, not to mention all the bugs in the suite..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.