Using Pirated Mods

Discussion in 'MyBB Discussions' started by News Bot, Sep 20, 2012.

1. News Bot

News Bot Regular Member

Recently we have been made aware of several MyBB plugins circulating around the internet, in particular pirated mods, which are specifically designed to cause malicious harm to their users. One specific example which has come to our attention attempts to delete all the records from your database, and delete your MyBB files. This would obviously have a devastating impact on anyone who happened to install this plugin.
    We’d like to remind users of the immense power plugins have which, when used incorrectly, could pose security implications for your forum. Theme files also can contain backdoor PHP scripts which can grant access to your server. Therefore, great care should be taken both in terms of which plugins are installed and where the modifications were obtained from. Specifically, nulled or pirated mods pose the biggest threat of all given that the origin of the file is unknown and any sharer could have inserted malicious code.
    Even when downloading mods directly from the author we recommend thoroughly researching both the plugin/theme and the author to establish that they are reputable and have a good standing with their customers and users.
    If you have any further questions, concerns or examples please don’t hesitate to contact us via the Private Inquiries forum.
    Regards, The MyBB Team.

afeeds_wordpress_com_1_0_comments_blogdotmybbdotcom_wordpress_com_1934__.png astats.wordpress.com_b.gif_3fc96017bde716fe57db3124d3a60331.gif

Continue reading...

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    sounds fun!

3. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I hate to sound like a hard ass but if you're using pirated mods you pretty much deserve what you get.

Aren't *most* myBB mods free anyhow? Why pirate them. The ones that are paid just pay the developer for their time.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I was thinking the same thing as I read this. I'm not big in the mybb world but I didn't know they had many paid mods.

5. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

There are a few mod developers that charge a small fee for use of all their mods. Honestly though, it's so cheap I don't understand why anyone would risk using nulled scripts.

http://yaldaram.com/ is one example where there's a fee to use "premium" mods, but the fee ranges from $10-$15 a year for hundreds of mods.

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I blame obama

7. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

lol oh wow.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon