Thoughts on Fake Twitter Followers?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Brandon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So I found this site that will take a sample of your users and see if they are fake.
    http://fakers.statuspeople.com/

Well as always, I started checking some of our competition and this example made me laugh.
    They have "300,000 followers" turns out only 10% of them may be real..lol

forums.png

Just a note to anyone thinking of buying followers or trying to game the system, it's noticeable to others who may be watching you ;)

To the example I used, I don't really care what they do, if it's working for them, more power to them. I wouldn't suggest it but it's your reputation even if you don't think anyone notices.

cpvr likes this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Lmao, I don't see the point of buying followers. It's ridiculous. If people like you, they'll follow you.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I think it's pretty obvious too. :ROFL:
    If you are following 2,000 people, and you have 300,000 followers, and all you do is post a feed from your forum.. #YouMightBeASpammer

Trombones13 and Dan Hutter like this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, and can't you get banned from that? I know you and I use our RSS feeds, but we do a lot of tweeting to others as well. I like posting tweets not related to my site sometimes as well, and see other user's perspectives.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't think you can get banned from it, I have other accounts that only post rss feeds.
    I think as long as your active and you don't get a lot of "reported blocked" from users, you should be ok.

6. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

83% fake, what's the use? To trick real people into following you? Well that's one way to go. :eek:

Dan Hutter and Brandon like this.
  7. Ankit

Ankit Regular Member

Not surprised but one has to understand the reason for the same, @Brandon - there are many companies in the part of the world (India) where I come from who sell one follower at 5-10 cents. Companies have to show traction to investors (trust me FB fans and twitter followers is considered as traction). Investors care for numbers not authenticity of the followers. I have seen FB fanpages get over 1 million like in over a month and for generic products it works.

Brandon likes this.
  8. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

When it comes to numbers it's just a mines bigger than yours thing -- Human nature I guess.

I still don't 'get' twitter. It annoys me more than anything. Most people (myself included) seem to use it as primarily a marketing tool.

9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    You should take the Sheley class of Twitter :bookworm:

Dan Hutter likes this.
  10. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Only if I can chew gum in class. :whistle:

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    As long as you bring enough for everyone.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  12. DRE

DRE Regular Member

It is hard getting real followers because you have to do it manually but it's completely worth it.

When I first started my site's twitter, I used one of those 'follower' services and most of the people they added were fake. It took me days to unfollow thousands.

Brandon likes this.
  13. D12Eminem989

D12Eminem989 Regular Member

To be honest I don't care about followers. If they like the content they can follow. I mainly use it as a platform to show my content.

14. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, I usually just speak my mind and retweet things. I gain followers through that as well. And I'm not afraid to speak my mind on the platform. Somethings I say there that you I cant really say on Facebook lol

DRE likes this.
  15. tirus

tirus Regular Member

I think that
    I do believe that its actually to trick people into following you because they see your large following and take interest. Unfortunately this might not work if you dont have relevant or interesting content since they will soon un-follow you anyway. People should follow you because they like what you tweet and they will interact because of this.

16. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, because when you follow someone large, their followers might follow you. Same thing about getting a mention. It reminds me of the days when people would buy more friends on Myspace so they would have an marketing edge. I really don't see the point of buying Twitter followers though. If people want to follow me for what I say and believe in, then so be it. I don't follow back spam accounts or people I think followed me to gain more followers. I tweet about music, hip-hop, whatever comes to my mind. So sometimes my tweets are left leaving people "What is he on about now...?" and quite frankly that's how I like it.;)

It's a platform for me to express myself, and I'ma use it and to leverage myself online - in terms of networking.

17. tirus

tirus Regular Member

At least people will follow you because they like what you say and that is good because you might share something in common so this is where you might just benefit in terms of networking. You might just end up following them back since it would be refreshing to find someone who has more or less the type of personality you do.

cpvr likes this.
  18. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

If you ever buy twitter followers, more than half of them shall be fake users, and though the rest of them may turn out to be real users, they shall in no way benefit your network. There are plenty of websites which offer credits if you follow others. You can use these same credits to get followers. But the main problem is that people only follow others to get the credits, and once they have them, most shall simply unfollow. Even if they didn't unfollow, they are in no way going to help you in your network.

Brandon likes this.
  19. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

Well fake followers obviously won't bring your visitors or make you money but they can boost your authority. Think about it, who would you rather listen to a guy having 100 followers of a guy having 30,000 followers? So it helps to build your authority which can lead to more people following you and in turn bringing you more visitors and making you a lot of money.

20. bauss

bauss Regular Member

There is really no point of having fake followers other then bragging rights, because you'll gain nothing from it unless you just hustle people to sell sponsored tweets on your twitter account.

Brandon and Dan Hutter like this.