Tapatalk or ForumRunner?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by TSUFanatic, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

Which one do you prefer to use? I've never used FR before, therefore I prefer Tapatalk.

2. David

David Regular Member

I dont even know what ForumRunner is or what it does.

Tapatalk I haven't used in a few years either, so i'd imagine it's better since the last i used it.

3. dojo

dojo Regular Member

I have installed tapatalk. haven't used it myself and to be honest I haven't yet checked with my members to see if they're using it either.

4. CallieJo

CallieJo Regular Member

First Name:
    CallieJo
    I don't use either one. I prefer mobile skins.

ForumRunner is owned by IB. If you run VB, they make it available for you to sign up.

5. BullsNet

BullsNet Regular Member

First Name:
    Gabe
    I've never used forum runner but i use tapatalk exclusively for my forum.

I like it much better than a mobile style because you get live updates the only thing is

1. I wish the polling time for the notifications of new posts/pm was shorter than like 15 mins. You get updated every 15 mins with the app.
    Of course using a mobile style you dont get ANY alerts.

2. WHenever I am on the site via my computer it annoys me that i will still get alerts through the app and then i'll miss them.
    For instance a member sent me a PM and it alerted me on my phone but i didn't check my phone and it didn't show up on the actual website.
    I didn't notice the notification on my phone until 2 hours later.

Overall though me gusta :D

6. Kev@ITK

Kev@ITK Regular Member

First Name:
    Kev
    Why didn't it show up on the site?

7. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Regular Member

First Name:
    Michael
    I've never used FR either - most of the forums I'm on don't have it (and the few that do also have Tapatalk), and it's not compatible with SMF, so I can't try it on any of my own forums.

8. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

Anything that requires action from a guest or member when it isn't needed isn't good in my opinion. Mobile layouts that detect if the user is on a smart phone or tablet and responsive layouts that adjust to a mobile device to desktop displays are neat.

2 people like this.
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

ForumRunner has been aqcuired by Internet Brands which operates competing websites. They could potentially access user data, so it doesn't seem wise to use FR.
    Tapatalk has nice functionality, but is very buggy.

10. David

David Regular Member

I can't really recommend either honestly. I wouldn't use FR because IB owns it, and I find Tapatalk to be a buggy experience every where I use it.

Phones these days can handle desktop sites just fine most of the time, it's just a pain browsing like that.

11. LeadFoot

LeadFoot Regular Member

I use both and prefer forumrunner

I pay a couple hundred a year for the branded forumrunner which gets me listed in the android and iTunes app stores - this in itself is worth the price of admission. Tapatalkk has a similar product but costs twice as much.

Install both on your forum, but for the love of god turn off the app notification that pops up. Every forum I go has the super annoying install tapatalk popup.

12. DragonTech Forum

DragonTech Forum IT Support Forum

First Name:
    Jonney Corner
    Tapatalk is a must, its free with android and its simple to use with a sleek GUI

13. HOST1PLUS

HOST1PLUS Regular Member

Well it has both - disadvantages and advantages and both of them should be reviewed before making the decision on whivh on is better to use. The great thing about TapaTalk it has significantly more apps to download and if you would check it ou, you would see that there are lots of negative feedback against ForumRunner and its seems that people see more advantages while using Tapatalk.

14. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Lurker

First Name:
    David
    I don't see the need for Tapatalk if you have a responsive theme. Just too many bugs and security concerns recently with Tapatalk, and their push to brand your content as Tapatalk content really puts me off.

ForumRunner doesn't even seem to be supported by vBulletin anymore. Zachery, the only support person dealing with ForumRunner, recently left, and I haven't seen anybody replacing him.