Sucks to be vB and IPB now...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cheat-master30, Apr 22, 2010.

1. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Just months (or in the case of the former, days) after implementing Facebook Connect...

It's being shut down.

Neowin.net - Facebook to kill Facebook Connect

Also posted on Admin Extra, but hey, it's kind of bad timing for the forum software leaders isn't it?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wow, that is pretty crushing. Hopefully it will be replaced with something, perhaps better.

3. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Apparently it will in IPB 3.1, but no idea about vBulletin 4 having an alternative.

4. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    awwwww thats not good :(

i have joined one forum connected to facebook, does this mean i will have to reregister?

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't think it's going to be that hard to adapt to the new system.
    everyone has to change, not just vb or ipb users

6. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Wow. I JUST (12 hours ago) set the facebook connect on a site...

7. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

I doubt that Facebook will pull the plug anytime soon. There are 100 million users 'connected' to other websites. That's a lot of people to leave out in the cold.

It is unreasonable to expect developers to be able to update their websites and applications overnight. Also, they made some large improvements to the Connect framework recently (permanent sessions, streamilined permissions, etc) so I doubt they plan to flick the switch anytime soon.

The new APIs are nice and won't take too much work to implement. The only question I have is about migrating current users over in terms of permissions. The Facebook connect API allows you to do things the new API does not.

I would expect Facebook to allow at least a 6-12 month grace period otherwise developers will be very reluctant to invest any time in working with Facebook in the future. Twitter did this when they changed log in APIs.

It should be noted that the media is telling us "Facebook to kill Connect" but not once did anyone from Facebook say that.

3 people like this.
  8. kev

kev Regular Member

facebook should make sharing their information an adopt-in service instead of an opt-out.

The way that facebook is setting all of this up, tells me that they do not care about their members privacy. Members profiles should be private, until the member allows their information to be shared.

9. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

10. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
  11. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the effort, Matt! It's things like this that make me really appreciate IPS products, as well as all the people behind the company. It's always great to see customer service lives on in some companies.

2 people like this.
  12. torque

torque Regular Member

For a long time I have been a "fanboy" of vBulletin/IB however once I get the finances set up I am actually going to make the plunge and convert to IPB.