So why should I use XenForo?

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Imperial, Dec 6, 2010.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

XenForo seemed to fly along at first, these days things have grounded to a snails pace and it reminds me of when they worked at vBulletin before. Not sure why things have grounded to a halt now compared to at first, maybe the court case might have something to do with it, maybe fixing all the bugs that keep getting reported more and more might be a cause also keeping them busy fixing them. But things have slowed right down. I'm not seeing new things being boasted about in videos posted by Kier anymore like before.

3 people like this.
  2. Digi

Digi Newcomer

Kier got bored, however I think they need to bring more developers, I don't know how they managed to do xenForo only with 2 developers (I know they've used a third party framework, but still...).

4 people like this.
  3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I don't think they are in a situation though to bring more developers on-board. Not paid ones!

I don't think Kier has got bored as such myself, I think maybe it could be the vast amount of bugs getting reported needing fixing compared to at first. There just seems to be a never ending stream of problem being listed these days with XenForo used in different browsers. They may be getting tied-up in having to deal with that too much of late.

4. k1234

k1234 Regular Member

I am using Xenforo for the first time. It is rather easy to use. they have a great friendly community. things just seem to run smoothly...

5. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I don't mean to bump and an age old post but it was on my new posts list. :)

I'm one of the community managers who jumped ship from vBulletin to Xenforo about 6 months ago. My board is moving back to vBulletin on Friday.

Personally I like Xenforo really don't have much complain about. Some of my member didn't/don't like it and it's not just the fear of change thing we often see. The biggest complaint I get is it's too "facebooky". I guess that's all the AJAX.

One member constantly has issues with the editor they cannot stylize text or it won't let him add text on edit, etc. After a few times I didn't believe him until I ran into the issue myself and see over on the XF boards that it's a long standing issue. Why isn't something like this fixed yet? That's a show stopper in my book.

From my perspective, I'm very uncomfortable with the lack of updates or even posts by the devs about progress. There's no roadmap everything is listed as coming in 1.2 but no solid word on when we'll see 1.2.

Admin tools are severely lacking no merge user, no delete all user's sent PMs (for spammers), no email notice of new member, etc. There is still no arcade which some members really enjoy on my board.

vBulletin has it's downfalls no doubt. I'm waiting to be fleeced again when vB 5 comes out but at least I know what coming and there are actually updates to the product.

Don't get me wrong I'll still use XF on new sites but I won't be renewing my licenses if there aren't any significant updates.

3 people like this.
  6. David

David Regular Member

After getting access to Xenforo and diving around everything a bit, I'm not real impressed myself. Soon as my time is up I'll be transfering my license to anyone who wants to buy it (assuming its worth something) and I read some where that you shouldn't expect Xenforo 1.2 until after the court case is settled (if it ever is)

7. Shyuan

Shyuan Regular Member

First Name:
    Shyuan
    Sorry for not knowing, but what court case is that? :eek:

8. BullsNet

BullsNet Regular Member

First Name:
    Gabe
    Internet Brands/Vbulletin vs Xenforo court case

as someone who uses XF for his forum, the software is not impressive at all. It's cute, it's smooth but lacks a lot of features, development is slow(yes I know there is a court case and a couple of developers). but still....it's a LOT of hype to me. I'm more impressed with IPB and to a lesser extent VB

9. David

David Regular Member

The case where Internet Brands is suing Xenforo and it's developers for everything they have. (And appear to have a decent chance of winning)

10. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Don't let the fanboys see you posting that.

2 people like this.
  11. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

:lol2: lmfao. Sorry I don't have a better response but that's just too funny.

2 people like this.
  12. cory_booth

cory_booth Regular Member

First Name:
    Cory
    There is xfarcade ...
    Yep, like XF, still in development and lacking a few features - but it does host games and saves high scores.

13. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I thought XFArcade was beta invite only? I didn't try to secure one but I'm back on vBulletin now anyhow.

14. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

More then a few.

15. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Hey Joey, long time no see. Nice to see you out and about. :)
    --
    BTW, I did the vBulletin conversion a little over a week ago. Things are running smoothly and my members seem happier.

16. CubicWebsIntl

CubicWebsIntl Regular Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Because xenForo is the best.

17. CubicWebsIntl

CubicWebsIntl Regular Member

First Name:
    Michael
    It's in development.

18. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Looking at this thread nearly two years later is certainly interesting.