SMF

Discussion in 'SMF Discussions' started by benchtech, Jan 13, 2012.

1. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    Hello guys,

I am currently undecided on SMF. I run and SMF websites before and have changed hosting because I felt that it wasnt fast enough. I am now on my third host and am now on cloud hosting and my website is still pretty slow, I think this is because of SMF now and not because of the host.

I have set up my benchtech(dot)(co)(.uk) technology community and am starting to get some members however my site is going slow. Reading around alot of people dislike SMF and I am starting to join them on this. I wanted some advice on what you think I should do? I would change but I don't want a lot of downtime as a fear the members I do have will go elsewhere. I am also only 16 and don't have a big amount of money to spend on paid software. I love the IP board software that this site uses, it's so smooth and it flows really well.

What do you reccomend I do about it? Has anyone else noticed SMF being slow or is it my webhost? Also is there any better software I can change to without having to make everything again such as members, boards, posts and signatures.

I would appreciate any help,

Thankyou, Ben.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have zero information on SMF. If I was start a community and was going to use any free software my choice would be myBB. Of course SMF might be a good choice I just can't say because I have never used it.

3. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    I'm starting to dislike SMF more and more, I just signed up for a demo of IP. Board and fell in love with it. I'd love to be able to afford that it is superiour to any forum software I have used before.

4. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Hello Bentech.

I have used SMF 1.0 series.It was loading fine for me.A few months ago.I used SMF 2.0 version.It loaded up fine as well.Then I deleted it from lack of interest.

It is a good free software.But it has some weakness in the postbox area.Using old stuff that should have been fixed.When they went to the 2.0 version.

Since a more modern postbox set up is important for me.I had to find good software that had it.I looked at phpBB3.Nope they have the same out of date set up as SMF.

I went from SMF in summer 2009.To myBB and never regretted it.

Because it fitted best in what I wanted in a forum software.

5. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

If you dislike it.Why not leave it and try a different free software?

What are you looking for in a forum that is important to you?

I have used phpBB3,SMF and now myBB.Each of the software have their special qualities.

I am happy with myBB.That is what I am now staying with.

6. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I think that is a good suggestion.

It is easier to manage than phpBB3 and simpler than SMF.

But what of the others? I do not know.

7. Jasey

Jasey Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    I used to run SMF on shared hosting and found no problems.

You could always try using a PHP cache to try speed things up. Good luck

8. Shawn

Shawn Newcomer

First Name:
    Shawn
    I enjoy SMF... :) I run it primarly on my forum network on about 26 forums. It has always been good to me. There are some lacking modifications but that is why I am learning how to code so I don't need to turn to third-party modifications. Now how SMF runs on a share hosting environment, I am not to sure. When I was using a VPS, it did really well on it unless it got super hit by spammers who gain access and are online at the same time. I had like 500 spammers online on the forum one time and got an email from the host our memory usage >_<

However, nowadays, I am more selfish :P and wanted it to be all my own so I am now using a dedicated server all to my own :)

9. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    Sorry for not replying for ages! Only just got back.

I am starting to get on with it much better now, which is good.

I block spammers the best way, block them before they even load a single file off my site, use this in your .htaccess;

order allow,deny
    deny from IPOFSPAMMER
    deny from ADD AS MANY DENY FROM'S AS YOU LIKE
    allow from all

Ben