smf or phpbb?

Discussion in 'SMF Discussions' started by Florida13, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Florida13

Florida13 Adept

First Name:
    Brandon
    i run one phpbb forum with an xbox site.. and the other one is a forum connected to a blog of mine with smf..

whats better?? i have a few mods and stuff on the phpbb one and i love it.. the smf one is kind of plain..

what should i go with? should i keep the smf one or transfer to phpbb?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

In all honestly? Neither of them - although if I had to choose, I'd have to say phpBB.

Have you considered using MyBB? It's an excellent script and it has a fantastic default feature set. When compared to the the other two scripts mentioned, it quite literally "blows them away", in my opinion.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

In my opinion, I've used those three and I LOVE MyBB, not only it's a great free forum script, but I use it personally and with the right designer, your forum could look amazing.

4. Florida13

Florida13 Adept

First Name:
    Brandon
    i never tried mybb..

i have the funds to get a VB or ipb.. but thing is... i want to make sure the forum gets big... more active.

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

If you were to purchase either IP.Board or vBulletin, I'm quite sure that you'd be entirely satisfied - they both deliver.

6. Florida13

Florida13 Adept

First Name:
    Brandon
    i have ran both before... but my forums never went anywhere..

so i want to use phpbb, xbox360freaks.com and until it gets big.

7. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Watch it closely, then, because transferring/converting between scripts is not what one would call "fun", on any level.

BTW, I love your theme, it's so..... cool! You could hardly tell that it's phpBB. In fact, I'd say maybe see how far you could go with that system.

8. Florida13

Florida13 Adept

First Name:
    Brandon
    does anybody know how to convert smf to phpbb

9. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I'm still looking for such a converter myself. SMF allows you to pull in other software, but I can't seem to find one for phpbb. One option would be to reverse engineer the current phpBB > SMF converter.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

11. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I love you. No homo (if applicable).

:D

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Don't worry, 100 percent all American Solilo-girl :)

(not that there would be anything wrong with that)

13. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    phpBB. SMF is total crap, to be honest.

14. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Please elaborate:

15. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Have you seen how SMF's interface looks? The admin CP? Dude, it's hell, really. It takes SO MUCH to make a SMF forum look half decent to stand up to the other forum software.

16. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I guess it comes down to personal preference, because I honestly shit myself trying to find stuff in phpBB. Plus, SMF comes with so much more out of the box than phpBB. Want something else? Easily use their package manager to search for or upload a new mod.

I'm a functionality person. As long as there are good themes available, I can adapt to almost any CP, admin or otherwise.

17. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh no, don't get me wrong, phpBB=ugh.

MyBB>>>>>>>>>phpBB>SMF

18. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I run two of the most active forums in the world - one phpBB and another SMF. I also have a MyBB forum. They're all in my sig : )

Of the three full-featured, major free forum softwares (MyBB, SMF, phpBB)

Admin Interface
    SMF > phpBB > MyBB

For a large community, MyBB is, without question, the absolute worst of the three. It's insanely tedious in comparison even to phpBB, which is already pretty bad.

SMF 2's interface significantly outperforms even vBulletin's.

Module Handling
    MyBB > SMF > phpBB

MyBB uses hooks, SMF uses patches, and phpBB uses a combination of patch and discovery (which SMF implements to a far lesser extent). SMF has a package manager, however, which puts it well ahead of phpBB.

Module Availability
    SMF > phpBB > MyBB

Not even remotely a contest. SMF rivals vBulletin here. Not just in terms of mods available, but also their quality. SMF's Sphinx integration is superior. SMF's Stop Forum Spam integration is superior. SMF's media integration is superior.

Theme Handling
    phpBB > MyBB > SMF

"Who wins the Special Olympics race?" - for a real theme system, look at Drupal (if you overcome the horrible documentation, awesome unfolds). They all suck, hard.

Theme Availability
    phpBB > SMF > MyBB

Here it goes by order of popularity.

Low-end Performance (unoptimized)
    MyBB > SMF > phpBB

This I uncovered just using siege tests. There's a solid 20% spread between them.

High-end Performance (optimized)
    SMF > MyBB==phpBB

MyBB needs polish, and a lot of it. Above and beyond some choice schema decisions, it simply has not had a lot of input from major forum operators driving optimization.

phpBB... something is seriously wrong, when there are clearly problems in the schema and its Sphinx plugin - serious problems - and the only advice is to convert EVERYTHING to InnoDB. I at least see people pushing for MyBB speed improvements the way there are on SMF's team. No such skill on phpBB's end.

Moderation Capabilities
    SMF > MyBB > phpBB

SMF makes MyBB look like a sad joke, and phpBB... well... no idea.

----

In the end, the fact is, I could not run a forum of Elliquiy's nature and scale on MyBB, phpBB, or vB, to say nothing of BBPress, PunBB or Vanilla. I can sacrifice the nature part, or the scale, but not both.

That's cheating a bit, but I have a much harder time thinking of a system that SMF could not structurally handle that any of those other six could.

19. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Lol?

Admin Interface
    The only reason why would I agree with you, is because it doesn't have Mass User deletion and you have to do it one by one. Other than that, I think SMF's Admin Interface is, well attrocious.

Module Availability
    Sadly, I have to agree, but it's not hard to create a module for MyBB.

Theme Handling
    MyBB imo. PhoBB's theme interface is a MESS and a nightmare.

Theme Availability
    Never seen GOOD phpBB free themes, Never seen Free GOOD SMF themes. I make MyBB themes and I've seen quite a few thousands.

Moderation Capabilities
    Huh???

The only thing you can't do is mass edit users.

20. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

SMF 2 is the only extant forum software with the concept of forum permission profiles.

As for moderation... try doing a wildcard IP search. : ) Just as an example. There's also the builtin trash forum, mass user management in general, mass ip tracking, etc.