Should HTML ever replace BB code for post styling?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by CM30, Dec 20, 2012.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I thought it was an interesting to think of this, since I distinctly recall quite a few forums that use pure HTML as the way to add formating to member posts, and I was wondering whether in future this might completely replace BB code as the standard.

For instance, it's how posts on boards running certain 'enterprise' scripts like Lithium are formatted, how GameFAQs formats posts and how boards running 'hacker' type forum scripts run (I think like acmlm's board). In addition to this, an IPB employee said on TAZ that they might eventually do away with BB code altogether due to how it wasn't how ckeditor was meant to be used:

So what do you think? Will pure HTML ever eventually be used instead of BB code for formatting posts?

2. Jura

Jura Regular Member

That was from my thread. I don't care.

3. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

I think that the idea is that you won't manually type out anything or ever even see the HTML.

You type your post. You format it with the editor. You post it. It posts as you see it in the editor (What You See Is What You Get).

No manually typing [b] this or </b> that.. why bother?

4. Jura

Jura Regular Member

Manually typing it is easier sometimes. For some people it is even faster than the visual WYSIWYG whatever editor.

If I had the choice, I'd disable it or make the regular editor default.

5. jyri

jyri Regular Member

I also like manually typing code as for me it is faster than having to stop typing and then highlight the word and input either bold, italic or whatever code on it from the WYSIWYG editor.

I don't see a reason why html would not replace BB code, especially since BB code is dated ;).