Pricing/Tips when purchasing sites

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by BMR, Sep 19, 2012.

1. BMR

BMR Regular Member

For the last month or so I've been actively pursuing other forums in my niche to purchase, and then eventually merge with my existing forum. Hasn't been easy the majority aren't interested in selling or they come at me with a crazy price range. Recently example is a site with a 100k database, with no revenue, and low rankings wanting 7,500 for his site:P

Just getting a little frustrated as I have a decent budget, and at this point I'm just looking for a fair deal. So basically looking for any advice on how to determine value for a existing site and also tips for going about getting owners interested.

Brandon likes this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, when I used to buy sites - it was always monthly revenue x12 - 12 months of revenue. I wouldn't have that much either because A) he has no revenue coming in. B) what's the traffic like anyways? What ratings were you looking at? Alexa? @BMR

3. BMR

BMR Regular Member

I was looking at the google analytics stats, he was doing something like 100k pageviews a month, with about 2k unique. Granted he didn't want to give me access and it was just a screenshot. It's just been a ordeal though, as the only site I was close to purchasing was making give or take $50 a month through adsense with a large database. Figure I'll just keep plugging away and eventually will get a fair deal.

4. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Where do you guys look for sites/forums to buy? Flippa/DP/Other?

5. BMR

BMR Regular Member

I've looked at those but it's a rarity to find stuff there for my niche.

I mainly free style, which is prob part of my problem. Just browse google and try to contact site owners directly on the board. Mainly look for boards with around 10-20 daily active members, as I've had zero interest with really active boards which is somewhat expected

6. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Never bought a site/forum, but what would a site go for with 100k pageviews a month, with about 2k unique

7. BMR

BMR Regular Member

I've officially given up on free styling looking for sites to buy. At this point either people aren't interested in selling or there prices are just outrageously to high. I have no problem paying $x,xxx for site, but only if it's worth it. The whole point of this venture was to try to build up a nice network of sites in the same general niche, but I think I'm going to have to change up my approach quite a bit.

8. GasMan320

GasMan320 Regular Member

What niche are you in?

9. BMR

BMR Regular Member

I'm pretty wide open in what I look to buy...if it's something I can work with I will try to contact the owner.
    Sadly though this is still going nowhere, at this point I've just been looking to DP and Flippa for stuff that interests me. Just would like to get something going as I have 4 forum licenses sitting around doing nothing.

10. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Your risk of being rejected or given a high number is way higher with your whole "free style looking" attempts. I think you would be better off seeking out sites that are already looking to sell. You will still run into people who set their prices too high, but at least they're all already interested in getting rid of their sites.....and they're more likely to want to negotiate a price as well.