New Members

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by psi, Feb 1, 2005.

1. psi

psi Regular Member

You know since I've been back I noticed every single day I log in I notice one or two new members joining. Ironically only about 1 percent that join are actually talking. From 2002 when I joined I didn't see many join then. Is aliensoup getting more attention now for people to join?
    And finally how come are so many of these new members so quiet or don't even post even one post? I mean what's the purpose of joining if you aren't going to "ahem" join in.

2. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

i think it goes in waves in terms of frequency, but it's pretty regular to have people joining and not doing anything. not sure why, maybe some people join things compulsively. take a look at the abductees list and all the people you've never heard of or who have never posted (or one post). It's a TON of people (especially considering that about 25 of us actually talk)

3. psi

psi Regular Member

It just seems this year more are joining for no apparent reason. Every day I see a new name under Newest Abductee: and then you don't hear even a hello from them joining. Is there anything to gain from joining? Or are most of these people spammers with intent of one day giving us a barrage of posts at weird hours? Somehow I think there should be a limit of time for membership if no posts are produced. It makes the list big as you say if the rate of members coming in is frequent.

4. monsieurjohn

occasionally we do an inactive user purge... there's nothing for them to gain by joining and not doing anything, so i really can't imagine why so many people register and don't talk

5. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

I'm wondering if a lot of them join just to play in the arcade, and then hit the 50-post brick wall, so just give up and wander off.

6. monsieurjohn

but we had the same issue before the arcade was instituted.....

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't think I would register somewhere and not check in regularly to see what's going on. I mean, if the site looked interesting enough to register with, you'd think a person would want to participate. Then there are people who register just for ha-ha's or for the arcades and just don't get the chance to to back online. It's a good idea (as was previously posted) I think to have a time limit for people to start being active after they register.

8. Dr.G

Dr.G Regular Member

Holy macrola! The Admins really have you kids fooled again.
    Anybody who was anybody would have caught on long ago. Seventy-five percent of the abductees here,are the aliases of Alien and BRiT. C'mon,lobo and Jason...you can see the similarities there? :nuts:

Besides,for every new member they geht,the Admins receive fifteen cents off of their yearly subscription to "The Internet,Geeks,and Ewe" Magazine.

Damn! Don't the Admins tell the staff anything here? :no:

9. monsieurjohn

:ut-oh: he figured us out!

.... we need a smiley of a guy freaking out and running into the distance