MyBB 1.8 coming soon with many great changes

Discussion in 'MyBB Discussions' started by GTB, Mar 31, 2012.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Just spotted somebody linking back to a new Blog Entry posted on MyBB about 1.8 version coming soon. Seems it will get a facelift and come with a new "much better" default theme, they will also be moving over to using jQuery as well. Have a read of the blog post in question here: MyBB 1.6.7 Update, Merge 1.6.7 & MyBB 1.8 Development.

The new default theme MyBB 1.8 will use, I think is going to this one released here by the lead developer at MyBB "Justin". I do like this memo colour version of it: http://mods.mybb.com...20-%20Forum.png

Great to see them revamping the old default theme used, now to something much more appealing to people for using by out the box. Also good to see it coming very soon using the newer more modern jQuery to rival other paid forum software around, this is going to be a huge hit with people on the free forum software scene I think, especially coming with a new much better visually appealing default theme.

2. Alex

Alex Regular Member

I think the fresh the default theme will be similar to the Apart series since the lead developer is Justin, but I don't think they will be straight up using the Apart series.

I'm hoping it will be a lot better than the Apart series... ^_^

Either way, I can't wait for a revamp because we've all been waiting pretty patiently.

3. Riess

Riess Regular Member

BTW, if you had their RSS in your google feed's reader, that news showed up in those... month ago. :)

4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Hmm, not sure if the news about MyBB 1.8 was an April fools joke or not now, been reading some comments made to that Blog entry and some seem to think it might be? No idea yet!

Don't see how it could have been picked up months ago by Google reader, the publish date listed on their Blog for that entry is today the : 1st April, 2012. Saying that though, I spotted it on the 31st March in my first post, so that's odd.

Attached Files:

5. Riess

Riess Regular Member

Its simple really. They drafted entire thing month ago and published it by mistake. They realised what happened and taked thing back. My friend pm'd one of their guys and he pretended no such thing happened.

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yeah, I just edited my post after realising I created this thread yesterday at 10:18pm on the 31st March, 2012. Yet, they show it as published a day later. So even that doesn't tally up, but that could be a time-zone difference (maybe) seeing as it only 1hr 42min short of being midnight, the start of another new date.

If they did that by mistake months ago and it talked about MyBB 1.8 then. Maybe it's not an April Fools stunt being pulled about the 1.8 release? But wouldn't be surprised if turning out to be one later.

7. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

MyBB 1.8 is very real: http://blog.mybb.com...r-introduction/ :) The timing of the announcement was intended to be a bit of a joke.

The announcement being posted on the 31st was a time zone difference. Our product manager Tim, who published the blog post, lives in Australia. ;)

2 people like this.
  8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

How long is the off though?

9. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

If you mean how long until 1.8 is out, we're hoping for a beta release in May, but we're making no guarantees right now. It's definitely going to be a strong, worthwhile update though.

10. lord_stone

lord_stone Regular Member

First Name:
    Karl
    Does someone know more about the upcoming 1.8 update?

11. David

David Regular Member

Looks like it's starting to suffer the same fate of other once great open source software.

Delays, delays, and more delays. Never a good sign.

12. Riess

Riess Regular Member

Is there any deadline set for 1.8 so we can speak of delays?

13. David

David Regular Member

No "deadlines", just when they had hoped to get it out.

14. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

"It will be out when it's ready"

- Typical myBB / phpBB staff member quote. :)

2 people like this.
  15. euantor

euantor Regular Member

We're going to be open sourcing the GitHub repo in the enxt few weeks. 1.8 was originally just going to be a face lift but it's turned into more. much more. There are several new features that I'm sure people will love.

16. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I am glad it will be more than a facelift because it make sense to add a few major changes to a new upgrade set up otherwise it should have stayed in 1.6 a little longer but now... :thumbup:

17. David

David Regular Member

Awesome, I always liked myBB due to the similarity with vBulletin.

Hopefully it gets a face lift and gets a unique look and cool new features.

18. AlphaBoards

AlphaBoards Regular Member

First Name:
    Cedric
    Sounds interesting.:D