Moderators

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by mikesharp, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mikesharp

mikesharp Newcomer

First Name:
    Mike
    Im just in the process of setting up moderators for my forum and i want to create a mod only area, any tips on how to manage moderators and what rules etc to give them?

Its all new to me :D

Mike

2. kev

kev Regular Member

If the site is new, I recommend that you do not add any moderators. Sometimes mods can be a little over zealous. And if you have only a few members, overzealous mods can destroy your community overnight.

The important thing, at least to me, is to use a little common sense. There is a difference between a new member posting a link, and someone with 1,500 post posting a link.

If a moderator and a member are in a heated thread, I do not want that mod giving infractions to the other person. Ask another mod to take a look at the thread.

Do not use user titles that say - "administrator" or "moderator" - that way your members are not influenced.

On my site, my mods have a tag saying moderator. But I do not have a tag. My profile looks just like everyone else.

2 people like this.
  3. mikesharp

mikesharp Newcomer

First Name:
    Mike
    thanks,

My stats are currently Threads: 1,008, Posts: 3,118, Members: 307 so i think im at the point where i need a little help to keep things on track.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

Those numbers do not matter. Its how much spam your deleting every day.

And, try to pick moderators that are in different time zones. The sun never sets on my moderators. Because of the way my moderators are arraigned, its very possible that my site has a moderator on it 24 hours a day. Mainly due to the overlapping time zones.

5. mikesharp

mikesharp Newcomer

First Name:
    Mike
    yeah, thanks thats what i meant really - each day im having posts alerted to me.

I was hoping to get some people on board who are enthusiastic to help drive conversation too - do you find people posting more as mods?

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Most people will post more if they feel they have a personal stake in helping the community grow; but of course there are some who will think of moderator status as an honor to rest upon, not as actual work.

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I agree completely.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree with much of what has been said already.

Determining whether it's time to recruit a moderator should not be dependent upon numbers and statistics, but rather the toll it's taking on you.
    Some questions to ask yourself:

• Am I unable to read most (if not all) of the posts that are made each day within a reasonable amount of time (1-3 days)?
    • Are posts being reported as being in violation of the rules?
    • Do I feel like I'm not secure in the thought that things are taken care of and maintained?
    If you've answered yes to any of the questions above, then you should certainly consider bringing a new moderator on board.

You say you're new to the whole thing, so some basic tips for choosing a moderator are to find a member that:

• Naturally expresses a desire to participate in the forum and improve its well-being
    • Spends time on the site
    • Is dedicated to helping other members
    • Has general technical knowledge and would be able to learn how to use their moderating tools
    • Isn't concerned with power, popularity, or acceptance
    Now, we all know that there isn't always a member on your community that fits all of those descriptions. So narrow your choice to a few members who you think are suitable for the job, and then refer back to my list of tips. The best candidate would be the one who meets the most criteria.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions. We're glad to help. :)

9. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    About that, you have international members too? I've always found following that method a bit hard. Got any tips for me?

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Just find out where around the globe your members are and try to find foreign candidates suitable for a moderator position.