Moderator: Popular Member or Not?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

When considering candidates for a moderator position, what effect does the member's popularity have on your decision-making process? Do popular members make better moderators, or are neutral, quieter members optimal candidates?

2. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    Both could be perfectly acceptable, it's why you are giving them the position that is the problem. If you are giving someone a moderator position just because they are popular with people, that could turn into a huge problem and is not smart at all in my opinion. The same idea goes if the person is shy and quiet; as long as that member is getting the position because they actually deserve* it, there's really no problem.

*This will mean many different things for different people.

3. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    all of our moderators were given the job cause they were helpful and friendly to everyone in the forum, and fairly active

4. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    A mod has to be unbiased. Doesn't matter if he is popular or not. I won't say "be a mod cause everyone loves you" because if he does something that mkaes me revoke his mod status, he will get everyone to yell at me.
    However, being popular is good since he will most likely get along with everyone.

5. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I would have to say that popularity is a great window of opportunity to use. It's a good asset no matter what.

It's really whether the person can use it for the betterment of all, when needed. I don't think they have to constantly be neutral, just be mindful of treatment towards others.

I think it helps to be popular sure, but still may not be a better moderator in general.

A better moderator is one that can put share own input, but be sure to show a willingness of receiving from others.