Kier's new forum software: XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Nick, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

2 people like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree 110%! So many people are already enthusiastic about the project (look at how many people supported him before they even got a glimpse of it) because 1) It's Kier. And everybody knows we all love Kier, for his work ethic and quality productions. And 2) almost everybody in their right mind is fed up with vBulletin. We need something new in this market. Something fresh and something exciting. Kier and his team have done a great job making that necessity a reality.

I have no doubt in my mind that XenForo is well on its way to success.

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

:cheers:

4. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Wow! Definitely looks like an innovative piece of software - will be staying tuned!

Jacquii.

5. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    it looks quite good :)

6. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Sigh. It's not /just/ Kier's software. Mike Sullivan too.

7. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    this ought to be interesting.

8. gill.g

gill.g Newcomer

First Name:
    Gill
    I've been hoping this would happen and am delighted! I really like the software - it's fresh and so easy to use (so far!!) and I've enjoyed trying it out on the new company forums along with everyone else!!

I think vB will be toast quite quickly given events over the past year or so. Internet Brands have destroyed the product and the number of disgruntled customers appears to be huge. In comes Kier and Mike and hey ... surely they will pick up a massive chunk of that market.

I see in the longer term - but not too long - that the main competition will be between IPB and XenForo.

9. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Don't count on every vB owner dropping their licenses and moving to xenForo. What most likely will happen is they will keep their exisiting boards on vB, and any new startups will be powered by xenForo.

10. gill.g

gill.g Newcomer

First Name:
    Gill
    Fair point Mikey. If the pricing is competitive and with ease of transition which will be the case, perhaps more than we think will move over.

11. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    I will move over...

12. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Me too... At least that is my intention today. I'd like some support details & pricing before finalizing.

With end of life, no large bugs ever being addressed in vb3.8 (as per their announcement regarding support policy changes), I think others may also seek a solution and move over.

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    i agree
    it's still in alpa guys :p
    I'd say this is still a ways out before production. 6-9 months maybe?

14. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Dunno. I believe it will be more like 6-9 weeks. Regardless, we have changed our plans because of it.

We were going to ipb. Just yesterday I almost put a large deposit down on a ipb skin, but the guy must have already gone home for the day because it went to voice mail.

15. Grover

Grover Newcomer

Our company and foundation will probably too, if xenForo can provide integrated Blogs and a CMS solution in 2011. It is truly remarkable, almost unbelievable that 2 talented (and very respected) developers can pull off something like this, whereas Internet Brands are capable of destroying a brand and supporting community in no-time and at the same time are unable with how many developers/staff: 20+? to provide their paying customers with a stable and good looking package.

I have put out soooo many suggestions and ditto bugreports on the utterly bad userinterface of vBulletin4 (especially the forumproduct) and almost nothing has been done with it by Internet Brands (what do you think this does to the motivation of a once very loyal/enthusiastic vBulletin customer/promotor?). Then xenForo steps in and... immediately solves all the issues I have with the unfinished/unprofessional/dysfunctional userinterface/userexperience of vBulletin4.

When is Internet Brands going to get it? I am afraid never. I hope that xenForo will become an unprecedented success. I will do everything I can to promote it (if the backend is as good as the awesome frontend... I just will wait for other new customers to get it into production on their sites and see what their experiences are) to my contacts and interested people, even if I do not use it myself (yet).

16. p4guru

p4guru Addict

looking good so far.. with amount of knowledgeable and well known folks on the forums at xenforo already i can see alot of potential there :)

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I can't wait for it to be released full on :D

I have joined the xenForo forums and it has some great features already! This is going to be a HUGE problem for vB and IPB around the end of '10 or beginning of '11.

I'll be purchasing a 'early bird' license, for sure. :)

18. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I doubt that. IPB and vbulletin already have a huge following due to be in business for so long. They have established their brands. Xenforo will be successful in selling to the disgruntled vbulletin users and will do well in that area only, until years down the road when they establish their brand. This is not only true in the forum world, but, in business in general.

I really doubt that many IPB users, except for maybe the ones that recently switched, will look at it as an alternative. I know I won't.

I see this as being a home for disgruntled vbulletin users that are familiar with Kier and Mike and not much of a competitor with other products. When vbulletin first started the only other alternative was UBB and wwwthreads. The time was right for them to topple UBB. There are many other alternatives now that are feature packed and have been around for a long time. Initial sales might be strong. After that we'll have to wait and see.

19. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

Looks pretty good overall. There are a few strange things - the JS effects and login/sign up system, for instance - but certainly a few good ideas in there. Will be interesting to watch.

20. p4guru

p4guru Addict

only need for a few well known large vB forums to migrate over to xenforo with postive performance to turn the tide somewhat heh