Is SMF the worst forum software?

Discussion in 'SMF Discussions' started by webaficionado, Nov 29, 2012.

1. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

I've read so many bad reviews about SMF. Forums that use it have, in general, some of the ugliest themes I've seen. They're not user-friendly at all either.

So do you think SMF is the worst forum software, or is there one that's even worse?

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've only had experience with an smf forum once and it did okay for what it needed to be.
    I didn't have any problems adding mods or styles from the admin side, I guess I've never really posted on one so I don't know how it is from the user side.

3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Not really. The worst forum script would probably be one no one ever uses any more. Maybe like that original WWWboard from the early 90s or something.

And phpBB is probably the worst modern, commonly used software.

4. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

The theme's appearence shouldn't be the deciding factor of the software... that is judging a book my its cover which is something you should never do...

I use SMF, it can do anything any other free forum software can do and it can do anything that a paid solutions can do. I think the main reason people don't like them is because it took a while for them to release 2.0

On a related note, check out www.wedge.org, its a fork of SMF being made which is turning out really well (im a private beat tester). You want to see a horrid software, check out vbulletin 5 :P

Miner and Brandon like this.
  5. bauss

bauss Regular Member

I think PHPBB is worse then SMF out of the free softwares, and MyBB is the best free forum software. I really dislike how everything is organized on SMF. The edit signature feature needs to be on it's own page, and I hate the way you view PM's in SMF because it shows all the messages on the same page.

However, I remember when I used SMF a few years ago(last time I used it) there was a feature in the admin section that I really liked, because you can install mods without actually downloading them to your computer.

Miner likes this.
  6. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Regular Member

I use to like phpBB2. Now I totally <3 SMF. Its my favorite free software. I dislike phpBB3.0 for some reason. SMF is simple enough to code for though. =)

7. lordi

lordi Regular Member

no, I like SMF more than phpBB :D
    my first experience in forum was phpBB, and then convert to SMF and never look back :P
    I have one forum with SMF and really enjoy it

8. dyrer

dyrer Regular Member

I dont think is the worst, as i can see with SMF 2 is very fast, reliable and i can do what i want with a forum software.
    Plus SMF has a very active community, a lot of themes and plugins

9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

goblues likes this.
  10. goblues

goblues Regular Member

Their users seem to love it as well (big forum). Just goes to show, not matter the software you are using, as long as you find your niche, your forum will be successful.

11. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

You are right there are a lot of themes and plugins, unfortunately very few of them work with SMF 2 and most of the devs have moved on so chances of them being updated to work with SMF 2.0 are slim to none.

As for reliability? not so much.

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I have a couple of fairly large (million posts+) corporate forums running on SMF 2. I don't think it's the worst forum software by a country mile. In fact in many ways it's better than some software you would pay for. It's fast, extremely reliable and easy to customise. Development might be slow, positively glacial in fact but it suits my needs and the needs of my users perfectly.

13. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I love SMF to be honest. My favorite free software.
    That's probably the largest SMF powered forum i've seen.

14. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

What's not to love? It only takes them 1 to 2 years (some times longer) to fix critical security breaches after they are known or reported. Meanwhile your whole forum is under the scrutiny of a hacker before the door is closed. Most of the experienced long time devs are gone. Off to dev their own fork of SMF. Whose left rowing the boat with all the oars chucked overboard?
    I thought support staff at VB were rough on people, and their customers pay to be abused. Want to get abused for free?
    And don't ask a question if English isn't your native language, see what kind of reaction you get.

15. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

Sounds like any free software to me :D
    I remember prior to moving to Paid Software(IPB and Xenforo), my forum was originally powered by Mybb and I felt like the support was a bit rude/unhelpful.

I briefly tried Phpbb3 and discovered that was a nightmare on it's own and I will agree that SMF community is a bit hit and miss. I usually try not to expect too much out of anything that is free

Autopilot likes this.
  16. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I started out on phpBB. You want to talk about security issues. This was back in 2003. It was horrible.

Superboy likes this.
  17. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

vBulletin 5 is clearly the worst script out there

ragtek likes this.
  18. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

I ran the Copper Island BBS back in the day with Atredes(Skyline) (early 80's) on an Commodore Vic 20. LMAO those were the days. Compared to todays technology it was like trying to connect with the world via telegraph. :sleep:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  19. Xenon

Xenon Regular Member

To be honest, I would take phpBB over SMF any day of the week.

I have seen a total of TWO relatively good looking themes for SMF. Its current state is, to me, absolutely horrible, but of course, to each his own.

I do look forward to the next major release, which I've heard is supposed to include some jQuery and a nice new default theme.

20. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

SMF is not id say PunBB was its poor i don't see any good looking about it, mybb is the best free as it has the best mods and themes and i believe that Xenforo is the best paid forum software.