Invited in to help fight piracy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifer Price, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price Regular Member

Hi guys! I'm looking forward to discussing the SC lawsuits. I settled even though I was legal and I am glad. I did get a few more songs out of it and I'm looking forward to watching the pirates go down!

2. Jennifer Price

And I need 5 more posts to get to the thread I'm supposed to be commenting on

3. Loneavenger

Loneavenger Regular Member

Welcome to the Site Jennifer, Enjoy your stay! :)

4. KJSandman

KJSandman Regular Member

Welcome Jennifer. I look forward to "hearing" your point of view.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jennifer,

I applaud your conviction but I am curious as to why you would settle even though you were legal, when a simple audit would have sufficed.

6. Jennifer Price

We did not have the entire SC catalogue. I was under the impression that we would receive the entire set from their attorney. All my pirate competition had the entire thing, so I was looking to compete with them. I did gain a lot I didn't have even though it wasn't the whole thing.

7. Jennifer Price

We have been in business for 20 years. Skid Rowe used to hang at our shows years ago. We had the largest list in the area until the pirates started selling that harddrive for $349...

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry to hear that because had you just gone through and passed the audit you could have purchased to whole works cheaper than the settlement!

9. Jennifer Price

That is obvious now, but since we were the first in the area to get letters, we made our choice. I truly thought it was a good business deal. Would you have paid $6000 for the entire catalogue? Their attorney assured me it was the WHOLE catalogue. He was wrong... I'll never settle again. I'm so legal it's scary...

10. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

You listened to THEIR attorney?
    Where was yours?

11. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Do you believe you were purposely misled or just did not understand what you would be getting in return for an admission of guilt and settlement?

12. Jennifer Price

Having been in an lawsuit over my father's death, I was aware that an attorney would cost us more than the settlement cost should we fight it. I did let the attorney know that my husband (who was actually sued) was out of work on disability during the entire time they supposedly saw him working... He would have had to drop the suit, but I wanted the ENTIRE catalogue... Live and Learn. All the pirates benefitted from our experience. They deleted SC when they got their letters....

13. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Yep. I see your point.

14. Jennifer Price

I think the attorney misled us. I never admitted guilt and made sure that was in the settlement... Skid will back me up. We had more discs than anyone else in the area before the pirates hit town.

15. Jennifer Price

And I naively thought that something would be done to force the 37 people with illegal hard drives out of business.

16. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Again, I'm not surprised. Just goes to show how far SC will go to sell their product.

17. Jennifer Price

But I totally support SC's efforts to stop those illegal hard drives. Just this weekend, my husband was approached and offered the entire SC catalogue if he wanted it... They have nearly put us out of business...

18. Birdofsong

Birdofsong Regular Member

Welcome, Jennifer. Very sorry for your trouble, but still a bit perplexed as to why you would have signed the agreement when the language changed from your initial understanding. Even hiring a lawyer to go over the agreement would probably have been helpful, so that you could have gotten what you thought you would.

I do have a question for you...do you feel that it is only pirates that deleted their SC tracks? Do you not think it possible that legitimate, legal KJs might look at your situation and say....hmmmmm....she's legal and still settled because of the fear of the cost of fighting this, and others and their bars have been named, as well...some without any real merit...let's protect ourselves and our venue and simply get rid of the problem altogether? I'm here to tell you that this scenario is entirely possible, and has happened.

My husband and I have thousands of dollars in SC product and stopped using them because of these tactics. I'm asking you not to generalize ALL people who delete those tracks as pirates, because although many may be, some are definitely not.

Birdofsong

19. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

That's too bad. Unfortunately, I predicted this kind of thing happening from the very start of the lawsuits/letters of intent etc and I was scoffed at for even suggesting such a scenario.
    You realized that an attorney would COST MORE than the settlement and so you took what you thought was the cheapest route, hoping to get the benefit of a full library as well. Too bad you got ripped off. I feel for you, and I have to wonder how many others have done as you did?

20. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

I find this statement interesting. Are you saying that when they claim to have seen you husband working, he was, in fact, NOT?
    Hmmmmmmm!