Increase the number of posts per page?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Diesel, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Is it possible to increase the number of posts per page in multi-page posts?

Personally, I'd like having the option of having the entire thread all on one page, but if that's not an option, I'd say that it would be a good idea to increase the number to say, 20 or 25 posts per page.

As it is, a thread develops multiple pages way too quickly, IMHO, and increasing the number of posts on each page wouldn't increase the size of the page to be served (which is the only reason I can think to make the number of posts as small as 15) that much.

------------------
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious."

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ~ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
    «´·.¸¸ Diesel Dan ¸¸.·`»
    (¸.·'´(¸.·'´ ~ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)

2. Chimpi

Chimpi Regular Member

The only real downside that *I* can see with this is it'll load slower for 56K users, but not much at all.

I say it's a very good idea. And yes, I agree, it is too little, and too many topics have too many pages

------------------
    Kabuto's Reign Will Fall To The Doom

Insanity Reigns
    Rythms At The Edge Of Time

3. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Nap> The load for modem users was what I was alluding to when I said "wouldn't increase the size of the page to be served that much".
    If it's increased to, say 20, how much larger could the page size really get? Would it get larger? Yes, but unwieldly so? Doubtful.

------------------
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious."

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ~ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
    «´·.¸¸ Diesel Dan ¸¸.·`»
    (¸.·'´(¸.·'´ ~ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Diesel Dan on March 25, 2001 at 05:28 PM]</font>

4. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

i'm all for it - ideally the user could choose a number of messages per page, but that's probably outside alien's control

also when you reply and it has those condensed summaries without avatars and sigs, that'd be a nice option to have to view the whole thread

------------------
    monsieurjohn: Professor of Metaphysico-theologico-cosmolo-nigogology

"Maybe *this* is what 'cooties', the disease that every grade schooler is terrified of, yet knows not the symptoms of which, is!" - KNSinatra at 3:34 AM

5. Alien

Alien Regular Member

While making it a user-definable setting is currently outside my abilities, I will increase it a bit. Let me run a speed test on the difference between 15 and 25 and get back to ya.

------------------
    "I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And yet, I ask, is not an alien force ALREADY among us?" - Ronald Reagan

6. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Increased to 25 per page, up from 15.

------------------
    "I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And yet, I ask, is not an alien force ALREADY among us?" - Ronald Reagan

"...is there anyway that I could get some sort of higher limit for my box?" - KNS

7. jadedskies

jadedskies Regular Member

Ah cool, should be good.

BTW...is there any way (I dunno whether this is available with UBB, but I've seen it with vBulletin) that after 10 pages or so in one thread, you can just have a link to last page, therefore avoiding links to 75 different pages...?

------------------
    PsychoticIckyThing
    AlienSoup Mod

PsychoticIckyThing.Com

8. ukliam

ukliam Regular Member

This feature is not available on UBB and on VB it can be set to whatever you want... it could do it say after 6 pages instead.
    Also a feature on VB is that users can define how many posts they wish to see per page, whice would be pretty cool .

P.S. I know Alien is probably getting a little fed up with my posts about VB, so sorry... I will try not to do it anymore .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014