I'm doing it more and more....leaving the dark side.

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by s.molinari, Feb 26, 2014.

1. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Hehehe....:D

A bit of a longer project I've been working on is finally online.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/

1+ million post vBulletin forum successfully migrated to Xenforo. My first full fledged migration of an (ex-) vB.Germany customer to Xenforo. I have more in the works!

May the force be with me! LOL! :D

Scott

zappaDPJ, Dan Hutter and jmurrayhead like this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Pretty easy conversion to wasn't it?

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. s.molinari

The actual conversion was easy (though it took a while). The harder part was getting the design right for the customer. There are still details needing some tweaking.

Scott

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Very nicely done. Hope more will follow.

AWS and pixelek like this.
  6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Congrats! The site looks absolutely fantastic too, which is kind of surprising given that it's a conversion from another forum script. Did you make the style all new specifically for the switch over or did you adapt it from the old site's look and feel?

7. GTB

GTB Regular Member

All these large forums constantly moving away from vB.

Makes you wonder how long vB can last like this, it's one large forum after another lately? And it's going to get worse for vB as new XF releases are made with more features and other Big Board owners look at the "ever increasing" trend of moving away from using vB to XF. You will get a snowball effect happening, it's going to speed up with other sites doing it more frequently. It's what made vB3 such a huge success and KAM are building on the same principle with XF.

8. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I agree. Many of the more experienced customers told VB again and again that if they continued to ignore their customers they would vote with their feet.

Did they listen NO! so this is the inevitable result.

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Really it's inevitable what's going to happen if IB cannot come up soon with something people see as being good to stop the rot, while XF keeps improving tempting users. Sooner or later IB will be in a really dire situation were they can't continue to lose anymore vB customers and will fold vBulletin under and take it in-house, or sell it on, and IPB 4 isn't even out yet to have an impact. They don't look that far away to me from that happening seeing how bad the vB forums look these days with lack of activity. Think they have a lot riding on this new vB Cloud.

10. s.molinari

The old site was actually a stock vB4 with their standard header on top, which was totally ugly to say the least. They had upgraded a few months earlier from vB3, because of fears of security issues. Don't ask me why they had them. It wasn't my idea to upgrade to vB4 either. They did that on their own.

The design is mix out of a purchased design and reworking it to match their CI. This is something I suggest to every client, simply because it saves time and money. I tell them, "look for a style that is "close" to what you want and we'll go from there". The customer did about 20% of the additional design work and I did the rest. I also installed 8 different add-ons, to enhance the system to fit almost all of their wants and needs. There were only a couple nice-to-haves, which I couldn't get done for them. The only real issue we ran into was email templating. Other than that, overall, the migration was a bit of work, but relatively straight forward and uncomplicated.

Scott

11. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Looks very nice. Seeing the typical settling issue with members though. That will go eventually. Good luck!

12. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

Given that Xenforo is still young and lacking a few features still, does this forum require any special type of tweaks and modifications post-conversion to Xenforo @s.molinari

Looks great!

13. s.molinari

@Sehun - from my post above.

Scott

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    8 add-ons for a forum hat has that many posts its not that much. @s.molinari can you share what mods you used if not where there major add-ons or just simple add-ons.

15. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

Ah didn't see that :)
    So there were/are still missing things(as i'd expect) but not enough to real detract from the experience. That's good to hear.

16. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

probably... But it's IMO lacking with real ADDONS and official documentations! They're IMO not supporting enought the 3rd party developers .
    no

why are people calling it still young?
    The first public beta was released more then 3! years ago ( http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-beta-1-released.4858/ ) and the devs have YEARS of experiance with coding forums, it's not like they had to make marketing surveys to see what people need and start learning coding.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Documentation would be a huge benefit. But they're developers and most of us hate writing documentation. They should hire a technical writer.

Agreed. It has a few years under its belt now with very experienced developers behind it.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

What do you mean by, they are not supporting 3rd party developers? They offer you coders a resource manager to list your mods on, and even sell direct from XenForo site. Something vBulletin.org never let coders do.

19. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I'm talking about the activity of K & M in http://xenforo.com/community/forums/official-development-tutorials-and-resources.41/ , http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/development-tutorials.36/, http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-development-discussions.34/ and http://xenforo.com/community/forums/development-tutorials.80/

20. s.molinari

We added...

The BBcode media sites, so that the users could just add Soundcloud links and have them automatically be converted to the Soundcloud embed, much like what happens with Youtube videos.

The very nice Post Ratings.

The vB4 URL redirection.

The Widget Framework.

Multiple Account detection.

Separate Sticky and Normal Threads.

and the Custom Node Icons.

Nothing desperately fancy.:)

Scott