How to advertise a forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Ramya108, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ramya108

Ramya108 Addict

First Name:
    Svetlana
    How do you promote your forum?

How do you promote your forum? Do you advertise on other forums, websites with similar content, Adwords or something else?

My experience:
    I tried Adwords, with poor results.
    I also tried advertising on a website with the topic similar to mine. The result was better, but still not satisfactory.

Any advice?

2. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Well due to the often political nature of my forum, advertising hasn't been easy. Google, Yahoo, and Facebook for example isn't really all that gun friendly. I have run ads on Facebook only to find them shut down about a month or two later. Now days I advertise on gun and survival blogs and forums.

Now if I was to suggest anything it would be to create a Twitter, Facebook, and Yahoo Answer group accounts. Then post information or answer questions while linking back to your sight. This is free advertising. Then I would look into related blogs and facebook for paid advertising.

2 people like this.
  3. Gordie

Gordie Adept

50, have you ever looked at the OutsideHub? They actually advertise on my site and have done so for a few years now. They run their banners on hundreds of outdoor and recreation type websites. Depending on your traffic, you might be able to hook up with them and maybe they'll run a banner on your forum. You could also talk to them about placing a few banner ads yourself. Some of the banners they run on my site are gun and hunting related.

If you want me to give you some contact names, PM me and I'll give you some info. :)

If you look into them, let me know how you make out.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Re: How do you promote your forum?

Comment on popular blogs in your niche, exchange links with similar forums, post your link on other forums, take advantage of Yahoo Answers. There are plenty of articles that may help: Promotion and Advertising

5. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Hey thanx,

I'm sorry to get back so late...don't know how I missed your post. Anyhow, I got a few things going on right now but I'll check it out some more tonight.

Thanks again,

Ray

6. Ramya108

Ramya108 Addict

First Name:
    Svetlana

Thanks, Nick.
    Somehow I managed to miss those articles. awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_1f492e0ff656dc4feb3fda2555dc25a3.gif awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_1f492e0ff656dc4feb3fda2555dc25a3.gif awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_1f492e0ff656dc4feb3fda2555dc25a3.gif

7. LisaSmith

LisaSmith Newcomer

First Name:
    Alex
    For advertising a forum, you have to choose forums as well.

However, you can do link building of it and you can do SEO for the search engines as well.

8. bevans

bevans Newcomer

First Name:
    Bryan
    Well, may i know what your forum is about? The best way to advertise it is know where your target goes. For example, if your forum is about gardening, then you might want to look at links that provide the same idea. You do not have to pay for advertisements to get traffic. As long as you know where to post them and you know the network, you can get your forum some visitors. Or maybe it is not about the advertising but more about the content of your forum.

9. Keylogged

Keylogged Addict

YouTube and Facebook do wonders! I make contests about who can make the best video about the forum. I also advertise on the Machinima Facebook page since I own a gaming forum.

10. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    I am currently at the advertising point of things, again. Currently I have a facebook and twitter to get the word out there, I am also starting a blog. I have added links to forum signatures that I post on (if it is allowed to be done that is) and I have arranged a few link exchanges.
    Thinking of doing some posters around relevant places, maybe some flyers in peoples post box who appear to fit my audience.

11. johnysumner

johnysumner Newcomer

First Name:
    John

I would totally agree with Nick 100%!
    It is important to maintain your links on similar niche. Websites that offer advises like Yahoo answers and wiki answers would be a great way to promote yourself and your forum. ;)

12. Shawn

Shawn Newcomer

First Name:
    Shawn
    Advertising a forum on Adwords is a bad idea IMO, that ad network is more for product sales and store type sites ;) However, facebook advertising (facebook ads) could be a benefit for forums since there is more of a social community environment in that area.

The best thing I have seen is signature links on other forums that are related to your niche... Be sure to ensure your allowed though as some competitors are extremely competitive and block any direct rival (I myself don't do that and personally think its selfish ;)). But when you post on the forum, be sure to make quality posts that actually help the forum rather than one liners and crap just to get your signature shown ;)

13. JOTZ

JOTZ Regular Member

First Name:
    Justin
    I haven't had much luck with the whole posting your link in your signature on other forums. It has always ended with the admin either banning me or taking it down. They don't want their members leaving for a better community. I am at a lost as to how to truly get your forum out there at this point...

14. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Are you being a contributor to their site? If not, then it would be considered spam. My Gajit forums allow for signature links as long as you give me a couple legit posts here and there.

15. JOTZ

JOTZ Regular Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Yup, in fact I been a member with this one site since 2004!!! The other forums I signed up with them and posted news stories (they are sports forums) and yet still no luck. I just noticed that one of the forums admins joined my forum lol...

16. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Well that's just silly then IMO -- a closed minded admin. Like I said, if you want a back link, feel free to register and make a couple posts and throw up a link in your signature.

17. JOTZ

JOTZ Regular Member

First Name:
    Justin
    I'd like to add a signature to my profile however I got the following error; "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!"

But for now if you would like to see my forum, talkgridiron dot com (not many members yet, just started 6 days ago) By the way the forum won't allow me to post links because I need to have 25 posts.

Trying to find a way to attract visitors and get people to start posting. I am also considering looking for another admin to help or Super Mod.