hobby site

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Teddy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Teddy

Teddy Regular Member

My site is just for a hobby but got me to thinking, hobbies cost money right?
    Well you take $140 for xenforo, $10 for domain name, $10 for first months hosting,
    then add that times 12 for the first year thats $270 give or take.
    I am thinking about selling stickers and maybe try to sell shirts or coffee mugs from cafe express or something. What do you guys do?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Do you mean what do we do to promote our website? If so there are many ways to promote, Selling tshirts and other things sounds like a good idea, or you can hold contests on your forum, and whoever wins gets a free tshirt or cofee mug.

3. kilcher

kilcher Regular Member

I think he means he's wanting to sell those things to help cover costs.

4. Teddy

Teddy Regular Member

correct

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Ahh ok, yea it dosent sound like a bad idea to sell those things.

6. Teddy

Teddy Regular Member

Yea, problem is cost vs profit. Cafe express last time I checked is a shade high.
    Bout the only way you can do good on shirts is buy in bulk. Then you have to figure out how the most profitable way to get the slogan on the shirt.
    Id be doing it more for outside promotion more than anything ya know?
    Like a bug windshield banner. That would mean more to me than the person actually paying for the sticker or T shirt.
    But money is good!
    Since we are on the subject of t-shirts, stickers and coffee mugs, any of you guys know who does this sort of thing in bulk with a great price?

Terrorz likes this.
  7. kilcher

kilcher Regular Member

Stickers can be dirt cheap, I've had good luck with those in the past.

8. Teddy

Teddy Regular Member

did you buy the stickers and make them yourself? The reason I ask is because this buddy of mine thinks we could make some pocket money out of selling stickers for cars and car graphics. My opinion is that by the time you spend $2500 - $3000 on a good required printer plus software, computer and vinyl it would take years to recoup those funds from overhead. I found a place that I can buy stickers from fairly inexpensive but it would take me an hour drive up there and back to purchase them. But they are made on the fly.
    Any input on this is appreaciated.