Having a job and running your forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Kaiser, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well when you have a job, it can be very hard to run your forum. How do you deal with having a job, and running your forum at the same time?

This whole month has been hard on me, I have been working long hours and when I come home I am just to tired to get on AdminBB. I try my best to get on before and after work but working long shifts have been very overwhelming.

I just recently got this job a month ago, and I have been working very hard. Its been hard contributing enough time to AdminBB like I used to.

Brandon likes this.
  2. Joe.

Joe. Regular Member

I have 2 jobs (one is on-call so its not everyday but some weeks it can be everyday / 16 hour work days) & I also have a kid.
    Either way, I work at least 8 hours a day and my days off I am usually off doing something fun with the kid. We might go to six flags this weekend. :D

Anyway, I have a good set of staff whom I trust to take care of the board when I am busy. Also, if I don't feel like foruming for a couple days (which happens sometimes) I wont worry about the forum because my staff are awesome.

Also I can check up on the forum any time with my phone while I am out and about so even though I am gone all day, I can still be around.

Kaiser likes this.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea having staff helps out alot, that's one thing I am having a problem with is finding decent staff members who will help out enough. One staff member I hired has barely been on, and I fired another one 2 days back, so I cant count on them. Ashley.S. does a good job like always, and Se7eN is doing his part. Maybe I should hire more staff as I cant contribute enough time like before. By the way Six flags is awesome!

4. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Sometimes I can't get enough time, as when I'm working 6 hours spare time is not enough to get everything done on-line, leaving no time to relax so I rely on my other staff to keep the place up and running smoothly, etc.

Kaiser likes this.
  5. Se7eN

Se7eN Regular Member

I have no real job, but I do have school. So, on most days, 7 hours of my life are contributed to that, and another 1 hour is dedicated to homework and studying. That leaves me the night and evening. That is the point in which I used to go and work on my forum a bit.

Kaiser likes this.
  6. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

Having a good staff is key, if you feel like staff members are not doing their fair share of the workload. Do not be afraid to let them go and hire new staff members that are willing to contribute. I see listings all the time of people looking for a staff position.

Kaiser likes this.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

It's not too bad for me. I work part-time in real life because of my health, so I can manage to find time to get on and post, even if only for a minute. Weekends during the summer are harder as we work 9-2 on weekends, and I'm more tired those days, so sometimes I am too tired to even post then. But during the week it's a 3 and a half hour shift, so it's all good. It's doctor's appointments and things like that that require me to be gone all day where that's the problem.

Kaiser likes this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

School comes first, keep it up bud :)
    I may fire that other staff member, and yea I will start hiring soon. I feel bad I cant devote enough of my time to AdminBB like before.

9. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

While I don't run any forums at the moment, I do staff a few. Since I haven't gotten a job yet, I'll use school as an example. I'm often times up late into the night and while this can't be healthy, I can't help it. I have insomnia, so, I use that time to be on forums as it's better than simply laying there.

10. Blake

Blake Regular Member

Since I started my first forum, I've had jobs that provided on and off time near a computer where I could check in on breaks and such. I could be alerted of any thing that required specific admin attention from because of an email or PM, but then I could browse a little, start or reply to some threads.

And then the evening time is when I can really dig in. But I'll admit that I've had to really work on time management. I've been known to "lose track" of time before and realize I got engrossed in a robust debate and an hour was gone, so I had to stay with work longer.

How hard is it for teen admins who run a site, but have 7 -8 hours of school a day (non summer, of course)?

11. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

It's not particularly tough with just school, but like me, I'll be working throughout the year plus school so it's going to become exceedingly difficult for me to get online.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well I am 17, I am getting my GED, and I work 10 hours a day, and it is very overwhelming. Coming back from work I am just to tired to come online, but I try my best.

13. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

There is nothing to feel bad about, I know plenty of forums where admins never touch the forum period. Your on your forum every day doing what needs to be done. ;)

14. Blake

Blake Regular Member

Just curious, but why are you going after you GED instead of the usual route? Tell me none of your business if I'm asking too much.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well since I am 17, I have been working very hard since I was 16. Helping out my mom and other things.. I got out from my regular school and enrolled in a GED program in a local college so that I can graduate earlier :)

16. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I feel your pain bro. Sometimes you need to just come on slowly whenever you can. Like 30 minutes, and increasing as time becomes easier for you. Like on your days off, you spend your day on your community like you could before the job, you know?

Kaiser likes this.
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I know, today is my day off, and so far I have spent day here on AdminBB, and advertising and promoting it.

18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Good man, that's the best way to do it.

Kaiser likes this.
  19. Savvy

Savvy Regular Member

A job and a forum is extremely harsh on me. I usually work 80-100 hours bi-weekly, although, you wouldn't know this by the amount of activity and time I put towards my forum. Luckily for me I have a good member base and a good staff team. Also, I have a job that allows me to be on the internet throughout the work day so I'm pretty lucky. If that wasn't the case I highly doubt I would be where I am with my forum.

20. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg Regular Member

I work as Logistics at Target. I work in the early mornings (2am to about 11am), so this gives me the day time to work on things on the internet that need to be worked on. Work does drain me and sometimes I don't feel like coming online much. But, I take small naps and then wake up and work on something if something needs to be done.