Getting people to post something other than forum games

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

It isn't as if the forum games are completely dominating the "new posts" search results, but the ratio of quality posts to forum games isn't as good as I would like and some of the better members are grumbling about them bringing the level of discourse down. Is there any way to get the forum game aficionados back to posting real threads? Without banning forum games entirely...

2. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I have that issue as well to a certain degree. The best way i can think is just trying to start more active and engaging topics elsewhere to try and get their attention

or perhaps make it where forum games don't count towards user post count. I noticed that when i did that on my site, it stopped people from posting their much since their post count wouldn't increase

3. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

Miach Zen's point about removing posts counting in those sections is valid; I used to be on a site that did this, and the use of games dropped a bit.

Other than that, you'll just have to write my threads which interest people. Maybe start off with smaller discussions to ease them into it.

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

As said, remove post counting in that section... and then add some features to reward those who make a certain number of posts (maybe like a points/shop system).

That's a pretty good incentive.

5. nafretiti

nafretiti Regular Member

Good way to cut down the game post is make the earnings limited or the rules more clear about game posts, I would completely take away the earning in that section because in game posts people don't write a whole lot anyways which is totally crazy and they should. Try your best to enforce the rule and have a points system maybe where they get penalized for not following the rules.

6. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

There was a quality vBulletin 4.x mod that allowed administrators to require a certain number of posts in certain forums before they could post in other designated forums.
    I don't know if it is something that is available for other platforms but it would certainly resolve your issue.

7. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

Well we have count to 300 but thats really it.. on my last forum we had 5000 posts in the forum games and 5500 posts in the overall posts so its quite ridiculous, when you have most of your forum space taken by count to like 1000

8. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

Just ignore the posts that you don't want to see. :) Post in the topics you do want to see!

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

My members rarely post in "playhouse" section which is the forum games. They'd rather chat on our other forums. But, from time to time, we sometimes see a lot of activity in our playhouse.