Full message text in watched thread notification emails or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Sylvain, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

What do you think it is the best?

Full message, members might not visit the forums because they have read the reply in their mailboxes

No message, members will need to visit the forum to read the message.

2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I wouldn't do a full message. I'd recommend doing a summary instead or something along those lines and they can read the full message if they log into the community to read it.

A summary works best because if you do a full message, then they may not want to log into the community to read it and reply as they have the full message right in front of them.

3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

I agree with cpvr! Let them login to read the full message as that will give them a reason to visit the forum again. It could make them look around as well and maybe they will post here and there. I also tend to send newsletter by PM, hoping that they get the email and then login to read the PM contents. :)

4. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

I'll change the email notification so members have to login to read full message. I'll see what will happen and I'll let you know...

cpvr likes this.
  5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Nice work on making that change! :)

6. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

The change lasted 2 days and I set back notification to full message.

Why? I was the first to complaint about it! I like to have full message in my mailbox, I get more involved in the discussion when I receive the full message than just a "Someone replied" type of message.

Also, most forums (including all my competitors) send full messages, there must be a good reason

7. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I also like better the full message. Maybe people won't visit the site to read the reply but they will have to do it if they want to leave another one. I think it's better to have the users happy and giving them the full message text on their email is a good way of doing so.

8. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

And sometimes the reply is very interesting so it encourages members to come back to the forum and participate to the discussion

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I actually turned off "Full replies" on my community about a month or two ago and we haven't received any complaints about it.