Forum Software Going Paid

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by SpacewardAsh, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kavin

kavin Regular Member

phpBB is nothing inferior. They are one of the leading forum software (Note that i was not a fan of phpBB).

If myBB goes paid, just like Kaiser said, i will decide based on the success of my forum with MyBB. I don't think phpBB and MyBB will go paid.

2. timestandstill

timestandstill Regular Member

Ford is one of the leading cars, doesn't mean they aren't terrible. There are more noobs than experienced users out there, so "leading" means squat in terms of quality.

3. kavin

kavin Regular Member

But a thing like Ford is leading, as people still like it, and it still has a demand.

Looking at the vulnerabilities that VB and IPB shows more often, i'm sure phpBB and MyBB are much better than them. If open source systems can provide much security than closed source ones, then what's the point in using them. Who will worry about features, when you cant assure safety of your forum. Atleast you can include every missing feature with a plugin.

Kaiser likes this.
  4. David

David Regular Member

You're not making a fair comparison though. How many genuine "noobs" are going to pay $195 for vBulletin or $150 for IPB or $140 for XF to end up failing? They would be experienced forum users or at least users which have the strong guide of someone else. You're not going to many (if any) "noobs" on vB, IPB or XF. As PhpBB and MyBB are free, then of course you will see more "noobs" because it's free and they are not losing anything if they fail.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Couldn't said it better myself.

6. Victor

Victor Regular Member

I have one site using MyBB. I had a IPB software and was going to convert it over to the MyBB but the converter they have isn't up-to-date which kinda upset me a little. I have always used Vbulletin until I found out that Kier and Mike went off. Than I switched right away.

Personally I wouldn't pay if they did switch to paid. One reason I suppose is because at least for MyBB they seem to be mainly slow in development or maybe that is just my clouded thinking. I know that they sure could use a up-to-date converter. I ended up giving the software of IPB away I couldn't even get anyone to give me $35 USD for a active license. Oh well. I never did really like it too much anyways.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea MyBB has been pretty slow lately, havent been seeing any major updates.. and MyBB 2.0 is probably far away.

8. John15

John15 Regular Member

Im using vbulletin and its paid. But if I was using a free software like phpBB that ended up going paid I wouldnt pay for it as its not worth it. I would just switch or wait for someone to fork it.

9. StevenF50

StevenF50 Regular Member

Well I don't do paid software as I don't have the money but if I did then I would pay for the likes of myBB if they went paid as long as it meant, more updates, better features etc.

Kaiser likes this.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

If I was on MyBB, and it went paid then I would pay for it as MyBB is great, and it would mean more features.

11. StevenF50

StevenF50 Regular Member

Yes it would hopefully. I was thinking about myBB going paid and was thinking , would their support be faster but then I was thinking probably not seems of though their support is really fast already but then I thought, more staff, even quicker support, what do you think?

Also I think they'd make a way better default theme if they went paid and would make plugins as well, they currently leave the plugins to the members but if they went paid I reckon they would make their own.

Kaiser likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

They already have some awesome features planned for MyBB 2.0. And they will always remain free by the way.

13. StevenF50

StevenF50 Regular Member

Yes I am not saying I think they will go paid as they won't but I was just expressing what I think would happen if they did go paid. Anyway 2.0 does sound very good and a new default theme, I hope it's nice.

If phpBB went paid I reckon about half of their userbase would move to myBB or SMF.

Kaiser likes this.
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I would say more than half lol. And yea MyBB 2.0 does have some great features planned such as a rich text editor and a new profile system.