Forum Issues...

Discussion in 'SMF Discussions' started by MordyT, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    So, I am setting up my third SMF forum for our member outdoor-fishing and could not get a single mod to install. I tried everything I knew and nothing. Made a thread at SMF and got like no help for 2 weeks.

Now, I get a response saying that mod_security2 is causing the issues (ok, I should have though about that...) and would like to know..

If the server is a not run by a standard webhost and getting it disabled is not as simple as calling them and asking them to please disable it, how would they go about disabling it? Meaning, if I tell them please disable it for this account, they might ask "how?".

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I have read threads before about putting a file in the root directory that might disable mod_security for me (sometimes needed for MyBB had to that to before), but would prefer a proper solution. Thanks

2. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Adept

Well, you're supposed to be able to disable mod_security2 using something like this in your .htaccess file:

Code:
    <IfModule mod_security2.c> SecRuleEngine off
    </IfModule>

Now I've heard that this works for some and then doesn't for others. To be honest, I've never used the lines so I'm just not sure. It wouldn't hurt to try them because it's an easy fix.

If that doesn't work, your host (or the person with root access) is either going to need to disable mod_security2 altogether (remove the appropriate lines in httpd.conf) or disable it on a per domain basis. The problem with the latter is if you just go in and edit httpd.conf, sooner or later it will get removed if you're using a control panel like cPanel.

Now I'm not sure what software you are on, but here's a link to the cPanel forum discussing a way to do this: How to disable mod_security2 rule for one domain? - cPanel Forums

2 people like this.
  3. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

They should also be able to add it to your virtualhost directive.

2 people like this.
  4. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Thank you for these answers, I will forward it to the host and see if this is able to be done.

5. H Potter

H Potter Gruv

Good Luck!