Do you use more than one host?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Soliloquy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I have most of my sites on HostGator, but I maintain small accounts on another host just in case something goes wrong with my main account. I have both tech support accounts registered with an email address from the other company, and keep some backups there. Do you have accounts with more than one host, or do you have all your eggs in one basket?

2. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I did have a backup account with ASmallOrange but my card expired earlier in the year and it's sort of lapsed. I need to formally cancel it, my site wouldn't fit on there now anyway.

But ASO are a great host,despite their recent hacking shenanigans.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

o.o Nope!

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

All of my sites are on a clustered setup with Cartika, but AdminAddict is an exception: it's with WiredTree.

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Yep, just in case something happens or if we have to take it offline temporarily the offline page is on a diff server/host.

6. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Never had multiple hosts. Backups are stored offline and I replicate each site on my personal development server.

7. torque

torque Regular Member

I use to have my sites hosted by different companies - however about 18 months ago my site got a web hosting company as a sponsor and since then have moved everything to them to host (as part of our sponsorship) and still not paying a cent :D <-- the way I like it haha.

8. brad319

brad319 Newcomer

First Name:
    brad319
    I like to spread my sites across different class 9 ip addresses and the ebst way to do that is to have hosting accounts at different hosting companies.

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

There's a term I don't understand: "class 9 IP addresses", could you explain that?

10. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I do host with one host now, but I don't have all my eggs in one basket so to speak. We use various techniques, processes and system to ensure nothing happens. And if it does to one website, it doesn't have a knock-on effect with another.

We take off-site backups 4 times daily. And if we loose the lot on one server, the whole lot can be re-loaded within 1 hour on a fresh one.

We're hosted in London Docklands and 99% of my websites serve the UK, so the traffic often doesn't leave the UK, making my websites as fast as possible for all the UK visitors.

Tested it with US/Canadian members and they said it's really really quick too. Test foryourself though, my links are in my sig. :)

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I host all of my dedicated servers within the same network. In the past, I have used multiple hosts, but I found it to be a pain in the behind (with inconsistent uptime statistics and unreliable infrastructures). Managing my hardware in a single network has proven to be much easier - and it satisfies my OCD-like tendencies entirely.

Keep it easy.