Do you buy music?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by bosconian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I can't remember the last time I bought a music CD but I'm sure it must have been around 2003, ten years ago. To tell you the truth I don't ever buy music but lately I've been playing with the idea of buying a vinyl record player and start getting vinyl records but that's just an idea right now.

How about you? Do you buy music? Vinyls, CDs or digital downloads?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I'm buying less and less music every year but I am going to more live concerts and music festivals than I ever did before. I have a huge vinyl and CD collection but I seem to have to work very hard these days to find anything I want to add to it.

I think the music industry has gone the same way as the film industry, anything main stream is done for profit and usually pretty dire. You really have to search out musicians the vast majority have never heard of in order to find the really good stuff. Or maybe I'm just getting old!

3. Yanz

Yanz Regular Member

I buy indie music, but I don't for large music productions. I use spotify mainly for all of my music.

4. andyred

andyred Regular Member

CDs are outdated nowadays let alone Vinyls. Digital Downloads for the win!

Although I only normally update my music about every 8 weeks then get all the new music I want in one go.

5. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

I don't buy them anymore but I still have some on hand. The last time I bought a CD was a birthday gift. I have good friend who buys all his music in vinyl. He doesn't care too much for CD's.

6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Nope. I don't buy any music... or to be honest, listen to much of it either.

7. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I do now and again normally if i want music i just go to youtube and play it on that you can get it on your ipod and stuff so no point.

8. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I feel the same but still I don't mind going to the movies to watch the summer blockbusters. But I never buy a movie on DVD and I don't even have a blu-ray drive...

I don't really like digital downloads. That's why I'm thinking on getting a physical format like vinyl. Besides with digital downloads you don't really own the music. Remember those news about Bruce Willis thinking on suing Apple over the rights of his digital music?

9. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Regular Member

Over the years I've purchased used music CDs at a low price. I have about 100 CDs. But I rarely listen to them, as I like listening to the FM when I'm driving my vehicle instead.

10. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam
    No, I don't think I've ever bought a CD :/

I use Spotify. It has all I need ;)

Liam

11. NicheGuy

NicheGuy Regular Member

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD or other medium for playing music.

However, just this week I wanted an old audio book that was on cassettes. Price at eBay $1 plus shipping. Brand new in the box, shrink wrap still on. Then I had to dig an old cassette player out.

12. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Regular Member

To me, listening to a stack of music CD's gets boring after a while.

13. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

About the same here. I think I've bought one or two albums in the last 10 years. I buy digitally via Amazon for the most part.

14. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

Yep, all music I listen to I'm a follower/fan of the artist and I want to support them.

XM/iPod keeps me happy in the car, Spottily at work on the PC.

15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I plan on buying Eminem's new album when its released.

16. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I haven't purchased an audio recording since compact discs were new. That was the early 1980's. I had the original Sony Walkman. It was big and clunky and skipped every time I moved but I was the only one who had one so I was awesome! :) But then came Napster and LimeWire and iTunes and YouTube and whatever else and I can get anything I like free at this point. That is to say anything I don't already own. My wife and I have several thousand albums on iTunes and hundreds of video DVDs of our favorites.

17. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

The industry has come full circle. Back in the day you could buy the album. So few had more than a couple songs that were any good. But you could also buy the 45 and get the song you actually wanted. CD's improved the quality of music but they ruined the purchase of the "song" much to the delight of the greedy recording industry. Now, all is right again. If you like a song you can just buy the song. If a really good album with lot's of good songs on it comes around you can buy the whole thing. Choice is always good and empowers the consumer.

Buying songs only returns the power of musical direction to the consumer. Make crap people don't want and it won't sell.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  18. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

I haven't bought a CD for at least 10 years. I mainly use MOG or Pandora.

19. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

My music shop sold CD singles for $4 a pop back in the day (10 years ago). The single usually had a couple remixes or at least an acapella and/or instrumental versions on it too. As a DJ it saved me quite a few bucks over paying $18-$20 for a whole album with only 3 good songs on it if you were lucky.

20. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

About a buck seems to be the price point for single songs that people are willing to pay, give or take.

Dan Hutter likes this.