CPC or CPM

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by bosconian, May 18, 2013.

1. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

Hi, I'm here to ask a simple question about advertisement services. I have a blog that I want to monetize but I have not figured out what ads to display. I don't know if i should have ads with CPC or CPM. I think it is easier to go with CPM because I will be earning with every visit, with no need for the users to click ads. Am I right?

Which one is better? Can you recommend what to use?

2. Zerth

Zerth Regular Member

Hmm, the websites I'm using are with CPM, but if you use Adsense, they do both CPC and CPM together, that's why it's the best one to use, but if you can't use that there isn't many which allows you to use both.
    So I think the best one is CPM as blog readers tend to just read what you write they don't need to look at adverts, so they won't be clicking on them. So by the time they've clicked an advert, you'd probably would've made loads of impressions by then. It's a rare chance that people will click on your adverts.
    Like if your Blog is popular, I'm sure you can make good revenue by using CPM.

3. maksim

maksim Regular Member

Stop thinking about it as a reader, and also think about the advertiser....

We all tend to hate ads, however we still expect people to pay us. yes, CPM is a great model, however keep in mind, you responsibility is still to the advertisers. If you just charge them for CPM, but they do not get any clicks out of it, they will not be coming back to you to advertise in the future.

CPC also works, but you ought to have good traffic to support it, and clicks. I would say it depends on your niche and what advertisers are avail.

Brandon likes this.
  4. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

CPM if you want to make money.

5. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

CPC if you want to tell people you dont.

6. andyred

andyred Regular Member

I would do some testing with your Click Thru Rate, if its under 1% the I would say stick with CPM but if its over 1% the got with CTR.
    Have you done some testing with banner ad positions and trying different ad sizes in different spots to maximise your sites hot spot areas?

7. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

Well if advertisers are paying for CPM it must be because they are getting something too. Maybe people aren't clicking on the ads but they are still getting some visibility, don't they?

What CPM ads can you recommend?

8. maksim

maksim Regular Member

What the advertisers are getting is exposure. The tough thing is, how do you measure that?

You may see an ad 1,000 and not click on it, but it is in the back of your mind.

9. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

It's just like advertising on a bilboard, a bus or a metro station. Just the fact of being there can give you hundreds or thousands of potential clients. The same with CPM ads, maybe those aren't getting much clicks but every viewer is a potential client.

10. moneyman

moneyman Regular Member

CPM ads surely will make money but most visitors are annoyed by these kind of advertisements. CPC ads aren't that bad either but it needs a constant flow of interested visitors and your website should also provide value for a visitor to generate clicks. So I would prefer compromising and display both kind of advertisements to make the most revenue.

11. KneeHigh

KneeHigh Regular Member

I would experiment with both, and I'd play with the ad placement as well. I could kick myself for not doing this earlier with my own sites. I cheated myself out of an embarrassing amount of money because I was too lazy to make the effort.

12. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

Do you know what are the best ad networks for both types of ads? Who is the best for CPC and who for CPM?