Clean up hacked forums guide for VPS/dedicated users

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by eva2000, Oct 6, 2013.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

Folks who are getting hacked and have SSH/root user access that comes along with VPS or dedicated server hosting may have more tools available for them to properly clean up hacked forums and the left over infections.

I just posted a summary guide here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog...in-forums-for-vps-dedicated-hosting-ssh-users which basically is a small excerpt of the much larger 10 page guide ?http://vbtechsupport.com/2355/.

Note: I'm not providing support for clean ups, just giving folks heads up for more tools and checks you can do if you have SSH/root user access.

Peace, Iconic, Dan Hutter and 5 others like this.
  2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

@ eva2000. Good one! It is refreshing to see a VB support staff member doing the right thing in a responsible manner.
    Well done!
    :thumbsup:

Peace and Autopilot like this.
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

Thanks.. FYI, this was written in my own time outside of vB official support. Yes there is a distinction between personal time and work at vB :D

Peace and Brandon like this.
  4. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

FYI you can't draw some imaginary line between you as an individual and you as a representative of vB and having written this on your own time isn't the line because 1) You wrote this as a staff member (on or off the clock doesn't matter) presumably as a benefit/contribution for the vB community. 2) You posted it for and on the vB community site as a support staff. 3) You post a link here while wearing a vB support staff hat in your avatar. 4) No one can magically disassociate themselves from who they are by placing a disclaimer in any opinion they may post.

You are who you are, a vB staff and therefore a representative of vB. Anything you say on the vB forum or else where will and can be associated with your position at vB especial if it is related to vB. No distinction, no fine line, no grey areas.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Sure he can

Peace likes this.
  6. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

Well you're are partially correct, you have every right to assume such just by reading my 1st post alone but not if i clarified the statement in 3rd post above explicitly stating to the contrary

Anyway, not to get off the point, the purpose of this thread is to provide other tools that hacked forums owners on VPS/dedicated servers can use to make sure they are clean of infection.

Peace and Brandon like this.
  7. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Thanks for the time you put into this document. It is very informative and helpful to many I'm sure :)

Peace and Big al like this.
  8. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

Great Job George!

Big al and Peace like this.
  9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Building Social Communities Since 2004

You're welcome.

Big al, lordi, VICE and 1 other person like this.