Brand management: Have you trademarked your forum logo?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Glcameron, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Glcameron

Glcameron The Social Media Guru You Go To

There are quite a few forums out there with similar logos, how long do you wait before you trademark your logo? I know its important for brand management to trademark and copyright protect all information to secure the validity in the site, but how long do you wait to do this? After you've approved the logo ( if you hired someone to build it for you ) or if you created it yourself, do you file for the trademark online or by mail?

Do you wait for the forum to start generating and income so it can pay for itself, then trademark?

2. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Yes, mine is both copyrighted and trademarked, although trademarks have to be kept in perpetuity.

3. Glcameron

Glcameron The Social Media Guru You Go To

How long after the launch of your forum did you take care of those processes?

Did you wait until it was live online to do it or did you do so after it was online for a few months?

4. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I did both before I launched the forum. In the U.S. every original work is de facto copyright of the original creator but it's easier to prove you are the original creator if you formally file copyright on the site name, banner, logo, motto, etc. Trademark is different in that it requires you to use the trademarked name, logo, symbol, etc. continuously to uphold the trademark. If you give someone a few months to steal a good idea, someone will steal a good idea from you.

5. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

I don't bother. If someone uses my logo then they're just a dick and not worthy of my time. xD

6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I don't trademark my logos or anything. Not as if I probably could, the very sites are dedicated to already well known series.

I also don't officially register any copyrights. No need in this country, even in court, the official sites on the matter say it's automatic.

7. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I don't really see the point with a forum with like 200 posts unless it has like 30000 posts or something then there really is no point, you could possibly rip someone elses logo but your probably gonna get found out somehow and i doubt you will get away with nothing.