Best Hosting Plan?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by ShinLi, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ShinLi

ShinLi Newcomer

This year we want to move RPG-D off of Invisionfree and host it ourselves with IPB 3 as forum software. Now I've been looking around but I don't know much about.... self hosting. So I was wondering hosting plan would probably be best for a forum of RPG-D's size (currently 20,000+ members and 460,00+ posts). I am not sure how many members come online daily or how much bandwidth our forum uses on a monthly basis. But the D is active and is constantly growing in activity. There are now at least 20/40 members online more on the busiest moment then at the beginning of 2010. So we have to take a continuing growth of activity into account when deciding on a hosting plan I think.

Please don't start throwing around links to websites that offer hosting. I'm just looking for some general information and the difference between hosting plans, and probably personal experiences if you had a similar situation as mine.

2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    If it is only 20/40 users, shared hosting will do the trick. 100 FBI of transfer should be way more then needed, probably find a plan with 20 GB of space. For under $5 a month.

*Via my HTC EvO 4G*

3. ShinLi

ShinLi Newcomer

*should start to make more sense*.

At this very moment there are about 130 users online (both members and guests). It's not the busiest moment yet. What I meant is that since the beginning of 2010, and now we are a lot more active. With more members online at the busiest times, and more new active topics on a daily basis. In total we have 20,000+ members. And were reaching about 10,000 new posts per month.

I should probably also mention that when we get self-hosted we are also going to make our own website, together with a topsite, and should have the space to add more things to the website.

4. SolidShellSecur

SolidShellSecur Regular Member

You should be fine with a shared host. We have hosted more active sites then that with no problem on a shared account.

5. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Find one that has a good reputation.That can meet the current needs of your big and busy forum.

Make sure you have enough bandwidth for the month.