Anyone fancy making an official complaint about Internet Brands' false advertising of vBulletin?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by thewhatami, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thewhatami

thewhatami Regular Member

First Name:
    Mike
    This....

vBulletin _false_advertising.jpg

... has been bugging me for some time.

In the UK at national level we have the 'Advertising Standards Authority' and at local level the 'Trading Standards Department' of various councils, I assume there're similar bodies in the US.

So, does anyone in the U.S. fancy making an official complaint about Internet Brands' false advertising of vBulletin 5 Connect?

With under 1% of the total commercial forum market (see the excellent Digital Point cookie search), claiming that vBulletin 5 Connect is the world's leading community software is at the very least misleading advertising and at the worst a blatant attempt at fraud.

Whichever way you look at it, at least some new customers that are not aware of both the state of the software and the company will be handing over money because of this false advertising.

So, over to our friends across the pond.

Big al likes this.
  2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

A good idea, the attorney generals email whose jurisdiction Internet Vb comes under is
    [email protected]

And it seems the state attorney general for El Segundo, CA. Is Jerry Brown. Whose email is above.

Kamala Harris is the California, Attorney general It seems.

Any report will back up some reports that have already been sent. I am not familiar with US law but I am sure that misrepresentation on this scale is an offense.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

What? O.o

4. Big al

Big al Regular Member

As I understand it the attorney general has jurisdiction over organizations that operate in their state or area. if an organization like IB/VB is in breach of the law their license can be cancelled as I understand it.

They are already in breach over defamation and libel on one of their VBcloud sites.

thewhatami asked about some one in the US reporting them for possible violations regarding false advertising etc. The attorney generals office is a good starting point.
    I hope this explains it for you.

I am sure there are also various other departments that deal with deceptive trade practices
    (BBB etc?) but as I say I am not familiar with the USA legal system.

However many attorney generals have joined in the fight against crime on the internet.

5. BamaStangGuy

Jerry Brown is the Governor of California. Your post made no sense at all.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  6. Big al

Big al Regular Member

A search shows him to be the STATE AT.

A further search shows :
    Also a report I sent to Jerry brown as STATE AT was answered and he did not deny being the STATE AT.

What does not make sense?

7. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

I think you'll have to find a law in the US they are breaking first. AFAIK, false advertising in the States is a regular thing and is actually allowed to a certain extent. And even if it weren't, I doubt you'll get IB in trouble for doing what they are doing. I mean, when they say "the world's leading community software", what are they leading at? If that claim is so vague, there won't really be any case, because they could certainly bring up something they lead at, like releasing the buggiest software in the world. Lol!:laugh::whistle:

Scott

Autopilot likes this.
  8. BamaStangGuy

Maybe you should take a step back from your keyboard sometimes and not post until you completely understand what you are about to say. You make me look like an angel when it comes to being an [****][****][****][****][****][****][****] in threads like these.

Jerry Brown is not the Attorney General. I don't know how much more clear that can be. He is the Governor. A quick search will show you that.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  9. s.molinari

BamaStangGuy likes this.
  10. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Please let me know what is incorrect and I will let Wikipedia know.

Re:
    So is wikipedia in error when they state that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Attorney_General

Let me know if this is incorrect as I am sure that wikipedia would like to know as would I.

By the way insults and personal attacks are not allowed as I am sure you are aware.

11. BamaStangGuy

It is incorrect. [****][****][****][****]. :rolleyes:

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  12. Big al

Big al Regular Member

So you are saying that Kamala Harris is NOT the incumbent AT and that wikipedia is wrong?

13. BamaStangGuy

No, I am saying you can't read what you type and what I quote in response. Someone else will hold your hand. I'm done. Have a good one. Your entire existence on forums has been solely to shit on vBulletin it seems to me. Which I don't really have anything against in principle, but Jesus, try something else for a change.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  14. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Thank you, I am not familiar with US law so I can only go on what sites like Wikipedia say.

15. s.molinari

But you wrote this in your first post above Al.

This is what is wrong or strangely incorrect, because below it you write.

which is correct.

Scott

Big al likes this.
  16. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I typed this:
    And you answered thus: It is incorrect. [****][****][****][****]. :rolleyes: Indicating that wikipedia was incorrect is this so?

17. BamaStangGuy

Maybe try harder with Wikipedia. Take a class or something. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Brown

18. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Thank you, when I read things on the web it seemed that he was a STATE attorney and she was the overall attorney.

Obviously this was incorrect. A polite response pointing out a mistake is appreciated.
    Like everyone else I am not perfect and do make mistakes and I am man enough to admit when I make one.

I will re send my reports to Kamala Harris as it seems that she is the current AT for that area.

19. BamaStangGuy

Yea because you are the poster child of polite responses. You reap what you sow.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  20. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Obviously your internet experience regarding my posts needs updating. Please read the many tens of thousands of posts I have made on quite a few anti-fraud websites, as well as on quite a few other websites.

I do notice that you post a lot of posts about Vb as well so could what you say also apply to you?