YouTube Promotion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Does anyone use Youtube to promote their forums? Were currently wanting to make a video for youtube which is attractive to teens but not sure what things to include, for example should it have audio, pictures etc or just actual video. What do you guys think? :)

2. kev

kev Regular Member

Yea, I use youtube.

I think teens are some of the hardest people to market to. They have been trained from an early age that what they see on television and hear on radio is popular. But if you ask them "why" they like something, most teens can not tell you "why". Most of them just say "because its popular."

So its unlikely that you will not be able to introduce anything "new" to teens over youtube.

Its also a proven fact that teens (and some adults) can not think for themselves. So making a video of adults is going to be different then for kids.

So you might be able to tap into "whats popular" and make a teens show on youtube?

3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Oh you mean like a teen based talk show? :D

4. kev

kev Regular Member

Yea, something like that.

Go to youtube and look up "Fred" - he is the #1 subscribed person on youtube. He has more of a comedy channel.

Then go find travisandjonathan - but that is more of an adult politics type of channel.

And then there is MRirian - her videos get an amazing number of views and she does not say anything in them.

5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Oh we all know Fred lol most annoying kid ever :D

Thats the problem none of us are actors or have a specific talent to gain popularity on there through videos.

I can imagine doing a talkshow but I wouldnt know where to begin when it comes to arranging one :D

6. kev

kev Regular Member

list some topics of your forum - dont think about it, just type it. Take something like 10 seconds and list as many topics as possible without thinking about it.

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Self harm, eating disorders, dating, music is that what you mean lol :D

8. kev

kev Regular Member

If you get a counselor, invite them to the show, and present a logical platform, its unlikely that teens will listen.

One thing that worked when I was in high school was the shock value. Maybe show the effects - infection, long term scaring, swelling,,,, that goes on with self harm

Touchy subject. Considering when done properly, anorexia can actually be a healthy lifestyle. The person is counting calories, eating a lot of fruits and veggies, getting plenty of exercise,,,, they actually look like girls did back in the 1980s.

Starvation - no. Teaching proper nutrition - yes.

And that is where most of the problem is. With todays lifestyle, nobody teaches proper nutrition.

Dating is for one thing - sex. Telling kids not to have sex does not work. Teach them about safe sex.

Show some people that have full blown aids and weighs 70 pounds. That is plenty of shock factor right there. TV commercials on HIV usually show healthy people saying - "I caught HIV through having sex one time". Ok so what? Kids need to see the truth of what aids does to you.

Violence and date rape needs to be addressed.

Black metal or industrial metal and lots of it. Start out with a little Rammstein and go from there. But most kids these days do not know what metal is.

2 people like this.
  9. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    wow...you must have teenagers :p

Anyhow, good advice!

I'm seriously thinking about doing some youtube videos. I know these will help a lot but I'm a little on the camera shy :o

10. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thank you for the ideas, it has actually sparked an idea off for me where we can plan a talkshow with a friend of ours and get him to present the videos and discuss it all, he would actually enjoy helping us with the videos :D

What do you do for your youtube promotion Kevin? :)

11. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Sorry to double post but I feel exactly the same and I couldnt take it serious being recorded etc :D

12. kev

kev Regular Member

I like to think that I remember what it was like to be a teenager.

Then contact someone that is already established in the youtube community and ask them to make a video for you, and post it on their channel.

That will give you instant views and possible traffic to your site, as compared to you having to build up your subscribers, make the video,,,,,,, and wait for traffic.

Why re-invent the wheel? Just go to a Goodyear dealer and buy some tires.

13. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    You're a survivalist, I can teach my self to fish and never go hungry again, or keep paying someone to feed me and pray I don't run out of money :D

I'll take the plung here pretty soon awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_4a8472c7460d862d9f38d072e80756d2.gif

14. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    The members of one of my only communities made a YouTube account. It wasn't really that popular, but that was mainly because it was used for the forum and not really to be promoting it.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'm in the process of creating and developing a local car fanatics discussion community - I can see YouTube being extremely beneficial at some point in time. :)

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I would love to see this community you speak of.

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'll let you know when it's open to the public. ;)