Your Very First Domain?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Chani, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    The How Many Domains thread got me thinking...what was your VERY FIRST DOMAIN, and do you still have it?

I bought mine in about '98 from Network Solutions for $35. I didn't know any different at the time. :(

hoverpark . com

I was a fool and let it go after the first year, and it's been taken by a robot ever since.

:doh:

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I believe my very first domain name was kbbsmusic.com. ;) That was quite a long time ago.

3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I co-own all the domains with my girlfriend. My very first domain of my own was prowebforums.com. The very first co-owned one of mine was ultimateteenforums.com

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

My first domain? Something I picked up in 2000, I think, threw it away a year or so later, cuz I made some pretty rookie mistakes with hosting and domain choices. Ended up going with someone who charged me 5x what they should have and delivered utter garbage.

The oldest domain I have now? My personal website which isn't that updated either, heh.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Pisogaupdate in 2008. I will be transfering the domain soon.

6. David

David Regular Member

lol, don't worry my very first one was $35 to from Network solutions. I bought a "Web Page Creation Package" from staples for $35, came with a basic HTML 4 book and a domain name of my choice.

It was davidmchenry.com

I also let it lapse not knowing any different. And it stayed either registered or under the control of domain parkers until about 5 days ago when I grabbed it up, you can read the whole story about it in my blog here: A Tell of Woe about Buying Domains & Finally Moving Domains | David McHenry Photography Tips & Web Advice

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I didn't get the book. :p

I had heard that Network Solutions was the only InterNic (I think) site to buy domains from, so I went directly to them. Dumb dumb dumb.

Have you heard about Network Solutions business practices?

No not EVER search for a domain on their site (or any other site that you don't explicitly trust).

Chances are that if you do look up an available domain through them and don't buy it right away (at their exorbitant rates), they will purchase it (supposedly "holding" it for you so you can pay their rates), and it will no longer be available. :mad:

I've heard that GoDaddy has done the same to some people, tho I'm not sure if they still do.

8. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

webpagehaven.com

:lol:

No, I don't still have it.

9. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

My first ever domain name was mjnet.de - it was a German variation on the then official Michael Jackson web site mjnet.com. This was around 1998/99 or so. I lost it back in 2000 when I moved to Scotland.
    Too bad, I wish I still had it.

10. John

John Regular Member

I am not sure what year it was but I think it was around 2003-2004 or something and I had been dealing with websites before that but that year I had enough of free domain names like .tk and thoose so I ask my mother if she could buy one for me and I gave her money to do that.
    The domain was drazonia.com, So unless free domain counts thats my first.

The reason I bought it was of Tibia and Online Roleplay game that I used to play and I was creating an OpenTibia server with the name Drazonia and thats what the domain was for.

11. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

My first domain (now long gone) was dsultimate.info, and was used as a redirect for one of the free hosted versions of my website. The only reason I got rid of it was because I thought dsultimate.net was easier to remember and set that as my primary domain name for the webhosting account.

12. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

First domain that I actually owned. Digitalmagician.com. I think I bought it in 1999, can't remember. Let it go in 2002 or 2003 for $1600.00. Before that I would just use the /~username for my own stuff and was working predominantly on other people's stuff. Built an online tax system for my father-in-law in 1995 using Javascript. People could go online and fill out their tax information and submit it. He would print it and they just had to sign it. Calculator handled all their exceptions. Worked on a site called Bloodquest.com for free game access for a while. Than Sitepoint followed by vBulletin. Until last year I didn't really have much time to work on my own stuff except for random guild sites and whatnot and even now that time it precious enough.