Your ultimate Control Center - A brainstorming experience

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Wayne Luke, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'll gladly agree to disagree with you on that. ;)

2. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I love SMF out of all the free forums for its sheer power, but I've gotta agree that the admin panel could use help. Even under the 2.0 RCs interface, it's still a mess, and yeah, permissions are a b*tch. When I first installed SMF, I nearly through my laptop out the window just trying to get a few simple permissions set.

I've only used the demos of vB and IPB, but I absolutely love the look of IPB. Whichever group could combine vB, IPB, and MyBB in the admin panel, would probably make a killing.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Sorry but this is HARDLY modern like IPB, hardly as easy like MyBB, not as resourceful and manageable like vB.

The style of the admin CP...to be nice it makes me want to look at Reality TV better, like that show Daisy of Love.
    Also, to make a skin...?
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/sexy_goldy_rican/hardly.png

It speaks for it self.

This was not even 0.1 nanometer close to what I had in mind.

4. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

No, I was agreeing with you. I like SMF because I think it's much better than phpBB's ACP, and I'm only learning MyBB right now.

But yes, I definitely agree that SMF's admin center is horrendously stuck in some time capsule.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh, no!! Lol >< I posted after you by mistake, I was responding to Vekseid ><!!! Sorry if I didn't make it clear!

6. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Oh, ok, lol. I re-read my post a few times to make sure that I didn't come across saying something that I didn't mean to say.

Yeah, SMF has a ton of options, and I love that. But somebody needs to have them play around with the vB and IPB demos, or even install MyBB in a secret section.

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I submitted the idea to MyBB, hopefully I'll get a response! It would be really awesome to see this.

8. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Permissions in SMF are 90% of the reason why I think vB is inferior. Especially in 2.0, where they've fixed permission profiles - once you figure them out working with vB (bad), phpBB (horrible), or MyBB (the absolute worst of the bunch) is an atrocious pain. I efficiently manage fifty membergroups and nearly a hundred and fifty boards in SMF - and over 300 at one point. There's no doing that sort of thing in any other forum software that I'm aware of.

SMF's theme options do need a solid thwack with a two-by four, however, on several levels. Not only are they horribly controlled and badly thought out - like WTF PM settings are -theme options- for, but they suck on the database end, too. It's quite ridiculous.

I'm not going to defend SMF's theming. I am a function over form person, however : )

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Another thing I thought of; you know those little arrow buttons you have to click on in the Admin CP? They're a little on the small side, could be difficult for people with limited manual dexterity. You don't need to get rid of them completely, but you could make the text label clickable as well.

10. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Actually, the entire box expands if you double click anywhere in it. You don't need to click the arrow. That image is easily replaced since its added via the CPStyle.

11. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Not sure if this is a mod but some form of live settings search where you can type a few letters say User Prof and it would come up with User Profile Options and take you right to it :) Would be great for when adding new mods and for newcomers to vb too.

12. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Kind of like Leopard's "Spotlight" function?

13. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I honestly dont know what that is lol :)

14. Wayne Luke

Firefox's find as you type feature most likely.

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

That is what I use right now when I cant find the option lol yes something very similar but on the main page of the admin cp which will drag up results and maybe even similar results within a hidden div which shows only when searching if you get me :)

This would be great I reckon.

16. sportwiz628

sportwiz628 Adept

First Name:
    Scott
    Took the words right out of my mouth :)

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

YES! IPB 3 has a live search function in the AdminCP and it's wonderful. That would be great for vBulletin. Currently, when I know an option exists but can't remember exactly which page it's on, I open the "Show all options" page and use my browser's find (CTRL + F) feature, but that gets old. :P

18. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I do exactly the same, there must be loads who do it too :D

19. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Well whaddaya know, it works. Thanks Wayne, wish these little features were documented somewhere.

20. Wayne Luke

Well that is in the documentation - vBulletin Manual

Not sure when it was added though.