Your time spent as an Administrator

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What do you spend the most time doing as an administrator of your community/ies?

I think I spend the most time creating and responding to threads. Perhaps promotion would come in second place.

What about you guys?

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

At first threadding and posting, these days promotion without a doubt.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

At first it was fixing up phpBB, later it was converting to vB, adding mods and making a new template. Now it's mostly about promotion and "customer service".

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Designing fer sure xD

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'd say responding to and/or participating in discussions - to me, it's absolutely crucial to do so.

6. kev

kev Regular Member

Answering private messages and emails. Some days I might spend close to an hour just replying to PM, answering questions sent through the contact us form.

When I finally get around to some serious promotion, its driving to the video location, filming the footage, editing, previewing and finally uploading the video to various hosting sites.

Besides the videos, there is article writing for my blog, which can take 2 - 3 hours to write a good article.

7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Backend stuff and moderating takes most of my time.

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Probably posting, people don't like a lot of constant change it seems. I post to fit in around them and because I enjoy it.. then the dealing with situations, design, etc falls in behind that.. along with promotions of course

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

So in essence, you're a "people person"? I'm the same way. :)

As I mentioned earlier, I feel that it's crucial to participate in the discussions taking place within your community. By doing so, you're not only showing the members that you are indeed dedicated to maintaining the well-being of the community, but you're also having fun (and dedicating your time) at the same time.

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Yeah I just got quite a few thankful PMs, a few threads, and many comments in threads about how impressed they were that I was taking the time to address every single concern that was brought up in a "tell it all" type thread for the community. I was very clear and concise in my explanations and told them what we could look into and what was probably not in the best interest. Being an offtopic forum a lot of the time people can really crap those threads up with meaningless stuff, but they handled the threads very well. In return we cut the subscription cost by 25% through the weekend and allotted larger size avatars for both subscribed and unsubscribed users.

11. torque

torque Regular Member

My time is mainly spent with posting threads trying to get more threads for people to talk about, templates editing, and looking at ways to improve my website all the time.

I spend alot of time on sites like this, vb.com, vbcodex, or vb.org looking at ways to improve my site even in the smallest simplest way.