Your threads/boards ratio.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Vekseid, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Elliquiy:
    * Total Topics: 29,899
    * Total Boards: 140
    * Ratio: 213, 4.3/month

Blue Moon Role Playing
    * Total Topics: 5,541
    * Total Boards: 17
    * Ratio: 326, 81/month

Personal Role Playing
    * Total Topics: 387
    * Total Boards: 17
    * Ratio: 22.7, 9/month

Do I need to tell you which of these three forums has a team of more than a dozen members who are largely in place to help assist new members, in no small part to help them get familiar with the mass quantity of boards available?

Didn't think so! : )

Elliquiy peaked at around 400 boards - I forget the exact total - but most of them ended up being deleted, their contents being merged and sorted as appropriate. It was a massive undertaking, but the first step towards making the forum a lot more accessible, and activity noticeably increased.

I'm happy with where Elliquiy is due to a number of structural limitations imposed by the software that I can't really escape. One new thread per week should honestly be considered an absolute bare minimum for most forums, in my opinion.

In Blue Moon's case, being a roleplaying forum, I think the main disadvantage of such a posting density is people who want to read casually. Obviously, however, that's not going to work with most forums! If you pull out the two most active forums, the new thread rate drops to a 'mere' 55, which actually seems to be pretty nice. I have a hard time picking out what is 'too active' in the sixty range. It feels healthy.

Personal Roleplaying is still a bit of a baby forum, only recently passing the 10kpost mark : ) I do find nine to be a little low... but it's certainly not dead.

What's your forum's monthly topic to board ratio?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The Linnie Forum:

• Total Topics: 3,620
    • Total Boards: 30
    • Ratio: 121, 7.6/month
    AdminAddict:

• Total Topics: 1,009
    • Total Boards: 24
    • Ratio: 42, 1,009/month

3. Demo

Demo Regular Member