Your forum's inspiration

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, May 18, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Coming up with a topic and unique idea for a new forum isn't the easiest thing in the world. Where did you get the inspiration and motive to create your community? Has it turned out to become what you wanted?

2. islesv

islesv Novice

My forum is about Philippine education. For a starter, I'm a teacher myself. I have searched for some forum which already fulfilled the need for teachers from the Philippines (why would I start something if it's already there :)) and there were two such forums. The problem was that one had obviously an agenda to spread, an agenda which is frowned upon by the rest of Philippine society, while the other was dominated by one aggressive poster who's not even a teacher himself, and the management won't do anything about that poster. So I told myself, ok, I'll create one.

3. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Forum ideas are definitely difficult to come up with. I think you and I know that Nick, Lol.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

The inspiration for my community? My passion for cars.

I've found that so many of the forums that you see up and running today were created just for kicks - or in other words, the founders of the communities really have no passion for the subject matter at hand. Running and managing a successful discussion forum takes time and dedication, and if either one of those factors are somehow missing from the equation, the chance of a forum succeeding is slim. In short, you gotta' love the subject that you're talking about!

5. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Since I have a lot of free time...pretty much retired, I spend a lot of time surfing the internet and replying to discussion forums. One day I got the idea that I should start my own forum and started looking around for ideas. The election was taking place during this time and things didn't look good for gun owners on either side of the fence. So I came up with the idea of starting a small gun discussion board. This is something I love and enjoy anyways.

Anyhow, It's only been up since December and it's going good in my opinion considering this niche is already filled with forums.

6. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

My community was started as sort of a grass roots effort to start a DJ forum ran fairly and not ruled by trolls to that end we've been amazingly successful we've still got work to do, to stay fair and balance and that's why I login every day. :)

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree that dedication is a must. I see so many people becoming bored with their forum and letting it go to craps. I think the one thing that has helped and enabled me to maintain my Lineolated Parakeet forum is my great passion for the subject. Without it, I think - actually, I know - that I would become bored and let things fall apart.

The same thing with this forum; I have an extreme passion for managing communities and could sit and give advice all day long. It's about time I have my own place to express my thoughts and opinions to those who want to hear them. I have put so many hours into this site in just the past week and It's already paying off.

Dedication is the key. Simple as that.

2 people like this.
  8. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Right, and I've created so many forums in my past and have been an active member on even more, why not create a forum about... forums? (This was something I wanted to do a very long time before I actually did, starting with Web Meets Admin).

9. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Completely agree with this statement too.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

You've had an excellent run with forums. I remember when CoD4-MW.net was up and running. Now that was a fun forum.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    More good memories. It grew so fast but had such a short lifespan. It was very fun indeed.

12. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Graphic Design and Family Guy are interests of mine..

Both communities are coming along well and are dream sites. Somewhat of what I envisioned.

13. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

I disliked most the forums I new of the same niche, so I opened my own little version of what I did like. Since then I have been imporving it as it's got bigger.

I think I have to much money in to this to end it now, I like visiting my site and seeing people there, like a little e-family.

That's what keeps the board going.

14. John

John Regular Member

Some forums i create because I don't like the forums that exist in that niche and some was created because none other forum existed in that niche. Right now i don't have more then 1 forum but the one I had before was sold or closed but it was most forums about stuff that i really like to talk about.

15. DarkWarriorXII

DarkWarriorXII Addict

First Name:
    Dave
    Most of my forums (except two) are about pets I've owned. With the two that weren't based off pets I've owned, one was created based off one of my previous jobs (camp counselor) and the other was created at the request of one of my members, who then took over that website.

16. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

I really don't know why I started RCTgo (then Belloman Studios) - that was 4 years ago. It was probably a combination of my fascination with RCT3 and my growing distaste with the official RCT3 forums at the Atari Community. Now, however, I do it because I really am in love with the game, now more than ever! :D

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Which helps, as your website has a nearly endless amount of information regarding the game. :)

18. Green Cat

Green Cat Adept

I created my forum because I couldn't find anything similar existing in the same language and because I like the topic :).

19. Chris

Chris Regular Member

There ya' go, Green Cat. :)

20. kev

kev Regular Member

Lets take the last ice age from 10,000 years ago, little bubonic plague from the 1300s and 1600s, a dash of spanish flu from 1918 - 1919, blend it all together with some public service announcements and duck and cover drills from the cold war and you have my main forum.

Mankind has faced just about every situation possible and survived. Whether it was famine, plague, drought, ice age, starvation, our ancestors did what ever it took to live, reproduce and carry on the species.

But with nuclear weapons and biologically engineered pathogens, our species has a long way to go.

And while I'am planning on how to deal with natural and man made disasters, I'am playing a little left 4 dead and practicing my zombie killing skills.