Your Community Name?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by John, May 25, 2009.

1. John

John Regular Member

Well i was thinking about an name and thougt that i should create a thread and ask everyone else how you came up with your name for you'r(s) community(s)?

What do you do to find the perfect name?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I first brainstorm a list of possible terms that could be related to the subject matter at hand... if I come across a word that for some reason appears to be unique in one way or another, I'll try to put a professional "spin" on it.

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Use a term (or terms) that you'd like to use in your name and then go to an online Thesaurus. :)

Find some cool alternative terms and use those to start your search for availability of those .com domain names. :D

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Well my forum is about a type of parrot - the Lineolated Parakeet. Since the .net version of the domain was available, I bought it. Can't get any better than that.

As for the name, we just started calling it The Linnie Forum. (Linnie is a sort of nick-name or common name for the parrot).

I'm never good at coming up with names though. I'm not the most creative person in the world. :p

5. John

John Regular Member

Its okay neither am I.

6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I definitely consider myself a creative person. I would love to sit and learn photoshop because I know that I could do some great stuff on there. I just can't stop to learn it because I have so many things going on right now. :D

7. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Well my current community is about the code in vBulletin. Both the templates and the underlying PHP and how to manipulate them. The literal definition of Codex is a book, in latin. That is a series of pages bound in a cover. However it was used to refer to technical manuals or manuscripts in the middle ages. Today, people when people refer to a Codex, they are most likely referring to the technical manual on a piece of software.

So... vBCodex. Over time I want to get more technical than the User Manual on vBulletin.com and provide resources found no where else. While the site is available now and I am slowly posting tips and articles, the main focus will be vBulletin 4 and beyond.

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Wayne, I don't believe that I've signed up for your community (I can't remember :) ), so I'll be sure to sign up and read up on, what's sure to be, some great tips and articles! :D

9. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    This is something I usually have a lot of difficulty with which is unfortunate because I refuse to do anything before I know the exact domain name I will be using. Depending on what will be behind the name, you may want to think of a word with a meaning that you want a then go spend a lot of time in an online thesaurus, like Arny mentioned above.

10. Imperial

Imperial Adept

I put the most pride in The Legion forum domain name, we reside on AveLegio.net (and own the .com tld as well). In Latin, Ave means "Hail" and Legio means "Legion" that brings us to "Hail Legion". Over the years, it became the organization's secondary motto and we use it in the absence of a more direct domain name.

Beyond this, I completely and utterly lack creativity and generally look for keywords or phrases one might expect. I also like to look for terms already being used informally. "Halo Nation" was one such term as it was an informal reference to fans of the Halo series of FPS games. Halo Nation ultimately became Xbox Nation.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I feel like I remember it as Halo Nation. Maybe I saw a post on vBorg a while back.

12. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

My forum name came randomly out a generator. I liked it and the .com was free.

Hence my forum being made.

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Wow, that's interesting - a randomly created name. I would never think of doing something like that!

14. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

It has it's ups and downs. It's a unique name which means nothing. But sometimes hard to remember for the new members.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Is there any specific way to pronounce the name?

16. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

I get asked that alot. I use it as most forum usernames now and I use it on xbox live.

I always say "Oh-Yoh-Bee-Ah"

But I suppose it's how you think it is said ;)

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That's actually quite similar to how I pronounced it originally. ;)

18. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That's how I would say it. I like it.

19. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

At least with a forum name like I have, I can use a wider range of niches.

If I had the domain "cars.net" I couldn't be able to have a forum about My little pony...

You see what I am saying?

20. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Unless it's a special edition MLP... :giggle: