XenForo 1.3.0 Release Candidate 1 Released

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by AWS, Feb 25, 2014.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Today, we're moving one step closer to declaring the XenForo 1.3.0 as stable and supported.

What is a Release Candidate?

After a number of beta releases, the functionality of the product should be complete and the rate of bugs being reported (should) slow to a trickle, allowing the development team to work through the backlog and reduce the number of bugs to a handful. We have now reached this point in the development of XenForo 1.3.0, so the time is right to produce a release candidate.

This means that the software is proposed as stable, and a period of time is allowed to verify the proposal. If no major bugs are found during that period, the software will be released as 1.3.0. If bugs are found that are considered sufficiently important to delay the release, we will see a further release candidate. This process continues until no significant bugs are discovered during the probation period for the latest release candidate.

We recommend that all customers running previous 1.3 beta versions now upgrade to Release Candidate 1.

All licensed customers may now download the new version from the customer area.

This is Unsupported Software

While we have moved on from the beta distinction, please remember that this release is not officially supported and we do not recommend running pre-release software in a production environment. Support is limited at this time to questions here on the community forums.

If you choose to run unsupported software, it is your responsibility to ensure that you make a backup of your data. We recommend you do this before attempting an upgrade.

Installation and Upgrade Instructions

Full details for how to install and upgrade XenForo can be found in the XenForo Manual.

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Already upgraded

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I'm still procrastinating on doing it here.

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

They should watch their terminology there, slightly.

"All licensed customers" - I'm a licensed customer, but I haven't paid for updates since 2012 so I can't download it.

They mean "All customers with an active license" or words to that effect.

5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Good point.

6. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if a very small snafu with the verbiage were the only problem IB had with their pre-gold (or even gold) releases?:D

Scott

7. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

Well I think someone ought to point it out to them, don't you?
    I'd do it myself, only, despite being a licensed customer I am banned from their support forums.

Wouldn't want a bunch of forum pedants descending on them, attacking them for getting a detail wrong.

I would also argue that it has the potential not to be minor if the wrong people took it the wrong way and meant them harm. Companies do have to be careful these days...too careful, sadly.

8. s.molinari

Well, even though they wrote "all licensed customers", I think that just about any normal thinking person would know that if their license is expired, they'd have no right get the new version. It is a small mistake in semantics, yes, which definitely won't cause a big customer outburst. You see, they have trust and respect from most of their customers and such bagatelle isn't taken the wrong way or rather, it is simply forgiven.

Scott

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  9. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

I'm surprised at you Scott, as you always claim "the devil is in the detail" - with which I agree. Seems odd that you don't consider THIS particular detail to be important, not very consistent.

Actually I think it IS important. Just because the "loud" (I mean that in a nice way) forum members on the support forum won't complain, doesn't mean the company should leave themselves wide open like that. Obviously *I* know why I can't download the latest version and it isn't remotely an issue to me. It's because I haven't updated my license, and won't ever do so. But that might not be the case for everyone. You would therefore suspect that they would probably want to change it and make it accurate. I really think someone ought to let them know.

Of course anyone who complains can simply be pointed at the license agreement, but it's probably a hassle they don't need.

10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It's good seeing you taking XenForo so much to heart, thinking of their best interest here. Great! Just don't let your employer "Internet Brands" see you doing it here..... might not like it?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  11. BamaStangGuy

Just that time of the day when he needs to be heard.

Autopilot likes this.
  12. s.molinari

Don't get me wrong. I'd definitely want to correct something like that. I just don't see it being as important as you are making it out to be. It is a detail, not a blatant blooper, like saying the software is "the best forum software available anywhere", when it isn't even close to being a beta.:rolleyes:

Scott

Big al and BamaStangGuy like this.
  13. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

As expected, nobody's come forward and said, "yeah, not major stuff but I'll point it out to them if I get chance".

Instead some point scoring seems to be being attempted, in which I have no interest whatsoever.

14. BamaStangGuy

Then go away. You won't be breaking my heart.

Autopilot and GTB like this.
  15. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Due to the uncertainty of continuing employment within the VB/IB group. We may see gradual positive comments arise regarding organizations like XF and the others from current employees and contractors of VB/IB.

After all they have to consider their future employment prospects and currently it is not looking good for VB/IB people, considering how many have left or "let go"

So some feathering of nests can be expected.

16. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Go log-on at XF and tell them yourself if that bothered about it. If you can't log-on, send them a message via Contact Us email link. As where not here to be your gopher.

Autopilot likes this.
  17. s.molinari

Here is some more point scoring for you Mark.

Low and behold. The wording IS CHANGED!

LOL!:D

Can you see the difference by chance?

Scott

pixelek and Big al like this.
  18. BamaStangGuy

Now vBulletin just needs to update their home page so that it isn't a blatant lie.

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  19. GTB

GTB Regular Member

LOL

20. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Does this mean that Mark B will be pointing this out to VB/IB? After all he does seem concerned about these sorts of details.

Autopilot likes this.