Will vBulletin 5 ever be good software?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Jan 2, 2013.

?

Will vBulletin 5 ever be/be seen as good software?

1. It's already good software

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once it comes out of beta and the bugs are fixed it will be

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A few versions later perhaps, when the missing features are added back in

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. No, it's forever going to be seen as badly designed and damaging to vB's reputation

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Well, will it? Will it ever be good enough people will want to upgrade live sites do it? Or will it still be seen as rather cut down and bare bones compared to the likes of vBulletin 3 and 4 and Invision Power Board?

And do you think it'll ever get to a point where people aren't always criticising it?

Brandon likes this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I am not so sure. I like the direction they are going with it. I always thought Launch Forum would be a killer. Too bad it never made it very far. I am just unsure if the IB devs can pull it off and come up with a solid product.

DaUnknownAdm!n likes this.
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

I'd like to think so, but based on what I've seen and my personal experience, I think there are many reasons why they won't be able to pull off vBulletin 5 as being a great product.

Some big reasons are technical, and some even bigger bureaucratic reasons. But we'll see... hopefully they can pull off a miracle and I'm wrong.

ragtek likes this.
  4. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

The first person through the wall always ends up being the most bloody. And that is what Vbulletin 5 kinda is coming off as at this point. They are taking a product that really did not need anything else added to it(VB4) and trying to improve and push forward. Of course it is going to have problems at first, but I am sure it will all be worked out in the end. I think the major difference between Vbulletin now and before is their lack of listening to the customers. They lost alot of people that did listen and address the issues of the users. Now it seems like most complaints/criticisms fall on deaf ears... But, IMO once they get back to their roots and start listening again it will be ok..

5. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Of course it will be, but not "out of the box." It's API will allow 100% customization of every element. Just as soon as every customer learns how to code modules or pay someone to do so it will be the best product of the market. There seems to be an overwhelming concern with style over substance in the development of the core product.

6. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Most of the complaints are coming from trolls who no longer use or even intend on using the software. Perhaps if they were originating from actual paying customers they would not fall on deaf ears.

Brandon likes this.
  7. Jura

Jura Regular Member

They never did that complete rewrite, did they?

Mikey likes this.
  8. digitalpoint

Nope, it's their own take on MVC (it's not really truly MVC), bolted on top of old code, bolted on top of even older code. I bet if you dig around, you will find code in there from vB2.

Mikey and Brandon like this.
  9. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

A bit off topic however, are you still going to be moving to Xenforo?

I do think that vB can become a decent software if they listen to the community, get some new developers or staff or whatever who will listen and make a software that actually works and feels good.

10. digitalpoint

Lol... you could say that about *any* software you know... "If they would just get all new developers/staff and rewrite the software so it works and feels good, we have a winner." :)

Alfa1 likes this.
  11. Miner

Miner Forum Theme designer

I would not say fault on current developers, they are doing great job, i feel its 100% management fault and rushing on the product with just one motive to make quick money, it look like their intention is to satisfy the share holders rather then customers i mean the clients and end users.:sick:

vB5 looks promising but as said by digitalpoint working on using old codes and very bad styling system, sometimes it makes me feel its all worked by different developers without any coordination between them, instead of using same CSS in forums, blogs, CMS its all thrown over making life of designers hell!!

The design with blog post looks like same postbit style used in forums and users will be confused whether they are in the forums or blog section.

Martin W and Brandon like this.