Why is your favorite your favorite?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Nick, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

We all have our preferred forum script - whether it be vBulletin, IP.Board, MyBB, etc. -- but what is it about this script that keeps it your number-one choice? What do you just love about it?

Have you ever had a favorite that you lost faith (and ultimately interest) in?

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Vbulletin is my prefferred. We tried out IPB and free ones and to be honest I dont like any of them whatsoever. IPB has a few things vbulletin needs sorting out but that is all, the free ones are good for free, but I wouldnt choose to use them on something I plan on making and dedicating a lot of time to.

3. Ohn03s

Ohn03s Novice

I'm still new to vbulletin but I guess that its userfriendly and has advanced options to configure it in combination with good support :) I currently only use it on a closed community however I plan to get some more licenses to ;)

4. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

My favourite is vBulletin. I don't like the others because, well the free ones I just don't like, or get bored with and end up losing interest for some reason. And IPB, I don't mind it but I just find it a bit confusing.

With vB I'm just used to everything now so I find it the easiest to use. The amount of mods and styles are awesome too :)

I just enjoy using it, unlike the others.

5. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

Invision Power Board for its community, support, modern design, member friendly interface, rich admin control panel, and official add ons.

6. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

My first forum software was phpBB, but I was forced into SMF due to security problems, a lack of features, and the fact that, at the time, SMF was the best-coded of the publicly available options that I could get information on.

I'm currently working on my own CMS, and occasionally Drupal as well, which I think will be the next major player as far as forums are concerned. It's an excellent example of the value of focusing on function before form - yes, it was fugly until version 5, and then it was passable. Version 7 may actually be quite usable for most people, however, and advanced forum may have gobbled up another element by then.

7. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

phpBB because it was one that pretty much started the forum universe so-to-speak and their software is easy to use and very user/staff friendly!

8. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I like vBulletin... actually, I am not sure why, maybe it's that I like the general features, modifications, how easy said modifications are to add and templates to edit, etc. I just never found the other forum software that great to be honest, when I tried out phpBB/SMF/etc, and it's worked fine before, and will work fine in the future.

9. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

vBulletin, because I am used to using it inside out.