Who's excited for vb4 ??

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AllMyForums, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I can't (and wouldn't) post a screenshot of the "leak" on here, but there's a paragraph where Steve says the accountants at IB had stated that the number of customers they would lose by these changes would be far outweighed by the increase in revenue from people who WILL pay the increases. Steve then expresses his reservations about this.

He also states that whilst he has no figure for the cost of existing customers upgrading he says from what he heard it would be "not a nominal sum", he then goes on to express concerns about that too.

2. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Thats hardly conclusive proof that they "trying to get rid of customers like me" - just accountants doing their job and providing figures to help with decisions. :)

3. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

It amounts to the same thing...accountants *are* the company.

That said, I've become overly negative about vB recently. Wayne's comments here and elsewhere, added to recent announcements on vb.com, have restored a little of my faith and so I'm biding my time now. I think they made a *massive* arse-up of the whole thing but they seem now to be trying to put it right. Time will tell, but for the time being I want to be a bit more positive about things.

4. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

conclusive, no. but very strong evidence nonetheless.

he wasn't disputing that.

2 people like this.
  5. Ki Adi Mundi

Ki Adi Mundi Newcomer

I wouldn't say I am excited. I am enthusiastic- been a vB customer for years now, and I don't plan on going anywhere.

At first, I was NOT happy about having to pay additional money for an upgrade, but this is an entirely new product, almost. So long as the price isn't too steep, I will upgrade to vB4, for sure. The screenshots I have seen are simply breathtaking.

6. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

To me, I don't seem to get excited about newer versions of vBulletin. When we went from 2 something to 3 something, it was a pain in the butt to upgrade everything. Oh well my updates expired so I'll wait until like further into 4 to get something.

7. David

David Regular Member

I'm more interested in seeing it all and checking out the new features and their implementations.

I'm not to worried about when its coming, or if they hold my hand there along the whole way until its released with daily updates.

Hopefully its a great product with a smooth launch and release though, for the poor Staff's sake because it seems like there is a lot of hostility floating around the official forums.

8. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

breathtaking? lol

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

"Breathtaking" could run the gamut from "incredibly attractive and functional" to "we feel like we've been sucker-punched in the gut". Personally I wasn't terribly enamored of the screenshot I saw, but who knows? The final version will probably look much different.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I wouldn't refer to it as "breathtaking" (from what I've seen), but it is indeed a nice change, nonetheless.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

From the screenshots I've seen it looks bulky, nonetheless somewhat updated.

12. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Not really. However to me, the new style is less about the default look and more about the underlying code of the style. Once designers, like yourself, come to grips with the CSS layouts, you'll realize you can do much much more than is possible today.

For someone who just wants to change the colors of the style, quickly and easily? Well they can do that with style variables. Even the gradients will change colors for them. Gives them a lot more flexibility without having the worry about editing graphics.

On the other hand, professional designers can make many layout changes directly in the CSS, all 130K of it, to control almost every aspect of what the end user sees.

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

...I am soooo getting interested on designing for it now...

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

As I mentioned earlier, this new system will possibly entice me to learn how to design (and/or code). :)

15. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Haha, get your photoshop skills on!

16. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Just out of curiosity, what became of your plans to move to IPB?

17. torque

torque Regular Member

I wouldn't say I am excited, I would say I am more interested in whether it is as good as they are trying to build it up to be, and would have to wait and see about the new pricing structure which I am not going to comment on until something is officially announced and not just rumored postings by the hundreds of people who start new threads at vb.com every day asking about it, or just trying to get people fired up.

18. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I agree.

If it's one thing jelsoft are good at (apart from giving us useless garbage information) that don't help anyone (and not answering hard hitting questions) is falling a little short. vb4.0 won't be breathtaking, infact, I can see it falling short of the mark. But that is speculation and am only going by the last two major updates that customers were blessed with.

Indeed, and although we can only speculate (I wonder why that is) hey, no information that we can work with, coders/developers must be feeling it more than most. But I guess we will wait and see at the last minute. And, untill then, we can jump up and down like kids in a sweety shop hoping the software lives up to the informative info we are getting here. I guess we can see when beta is released (oops forgot, customers aren't getting their hands on it). Roll on with the titbits of information. :rolleyes:

19. Florida13

Florida13 Adept

First Name:
    Brandon
    whats going to be different from it than the one now?

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Have you read their blog?