When was the last time you changed hosting companies?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by cpvr, Dec 3, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I recently moved from Knownhost to Liquidweb and it was a much needed move in my opinion considering how good Liquidweb's support team is.

How about you? When was the last time you had to move servers and change hosting companies?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    A few months ago, before that it had been 2 or 3 years since I had changed.

3. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

I went from a managed dedicated with Liquid Web to a managed Hybrid with WiredTree.com on 10/2010. The best move ever........great price and great support.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

i use multiple web hosts for different projects

• All vbulletin/wordpress live sites hosted at wiredtreed.com for past 4+ yrs http://vbtechsupport.com/wiredtree_webhosting/ with one VPS + one Hybrid. Most of my server consulting clients I end up moving them to wiredtree too for reliability and support - managed provider
    • My centminmod.com project - uses LEB (low end box 512MB ram VPS) providers such as buyvm.net around 3-5x 512MB ram VPS total just US$33/month - unmanaged provider
    • Most recent web host change was several months back cancelled my dedicatednow.com dedicated server (5+ yrs with them) for a better deal with http://www.databasebydesignllc.com/ - highest spec server in my group Xeon E3-1270, 16GB, 2x1TB raid 1, 10TB.- unmanaged provider
    • Also use cloud hosting for testing, Amazon EC2, Rackspace Cloud, GoGrid and my recent new favourite Securedservers.com Secure Cloud see quick brief review I did on my blog http://vbtechsupport.com/2127/
    The one constant will always be Wiredtree.com, I don't think I'd ever move from them - they just work for me and my clients :)

Brandon likes this.
  5. dojo

dojo Regular Member

Have been with hostgator for more than 5 years. Not planning on moving anywhere.

6. owtlawatv

owtlawatv Regular Member

I was tired of all the shared hosting shenanigans, so I went with a VPS.
    I found a 30% off deal at WHT for RocketVPS. and now have 4 VPSs.
    Ive been with them for about a year now and have been very happy.
    The WiredTree services look enticing especially for managed services.
    My next step may be a dedicated server, but I like the fact that I can just kill a VPS if I have to and not be stuck with more resources than I need.

Matthew

7. maksim

maksim Regular Member

first host was a shared HostPC.com till I got kicked off for forum being big and they had issues with security.

Went to VPSLatch for a VPS. 2 Gig vps for $31/m managed. Then also added a 4 gig vps at FutureHosting for around $55. Both managed. Use one for my main forum, other for side projects.

Now looking at dedicated, they have great prices for a 4 core for $100 a month or so.

8. bauss

bauss Regular Member

I've been using free hosting for awhile, even though I can afford shared hosting, but it saves money in my pocket. I moved from Host4Post to NiftyHost, because I got sick of the downtime issues with Host4Post. NiftyHost has been much better, and I've been with them for 2 months now.

9. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

A year or so ago when I switched to MDD Hosting. Never regretted going with them, and unless something goes horribly wrong, I'm probably going to be a customer there far into the foreseeable future.

10. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

I have been with my host for around 3-4 years now and before that I never had heard of a paid forum host so needless to say I am happy with my current host.

11. Creaky

Creaky Regular Member

Not changed for just over 3 years now, very happy with current hosts.

12. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

2005 was on a VPS. Company was awesome but started to not meet our needs. We also had our first and only ever catastrophic failure which resulted in 24 hour down time and no backups from their backup service. Luckily I had some back ups but we lost 1 month of data. Company was servint: http://www.servint.net/

2007 bought 13 servers (1u and 2us) as we were expanding, went to Peer1 (Toronto). Managing our servers was lame. I didnt care for it and when one went down, it made sure to go down when we werent around or out doing something fun :p

2009 expanded to dedicated boxes at Softlayer & had some left at Peer1. Dropped Peer1 in 2010 and relocated the servers to a friends basement where they have been ever since. Every now and then I collect 1 or 2...and then.....

When I am bored I sledgehammer the scsi drives and then throw them in the garbage. Good stress relief.

13. maksim

maksim Regular Member

Whatvsites were you running on 13 servers that you then moved to a friends basement? Scratching my head there.

Serveint usuallt has great rwviews even though I never used them. Backups are one of those that should always be done by you too. Was there a raid backup?

14. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

Nono, the servers only moved, not the sites :)
    I sold most of the sites to InternetBrands and Verticalscope. Went from 55 sites down to 5.
    Before I unloaded the sites I had gone to softlayer and had some dedicated boxes but still had a sys admin on the team managing them.

I don't recall the specifics of the setup with servint, but overall it was a good company. They were supposed to be doing the back ups, was part of their package. At that time I really didnt have a clear understanding of what I needed to be worried about and what not. :p

15. spyka

spyka Regular Member

I've been with Dreamhost since 2006 now, have had no reason to change!

Have to admit I had to look that up for this post, didn't realise it had been that long.