When was the golden age of internet forums?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by CM30, Oct 27, 2013.

?

When was the golden age for internet forums?

1. The 80s, it all went downhill when the Cold War ended...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The 90s, the early days of Geocities and the like was a great time for forums

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. The 00s, when table layouts were in their prime, when web design was a bit more modern and more!

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. The new 10s, these days are the best they've ever been for forums and forum owners

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

We've already had a lot of people talk about how forums 'aren't what they used to be' or 'are dead' or whatever else, so let's try and see what decade people thought forums did best in!

2. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I don't believe we ever left it. Forums continue to evolve and we evolve with them.

pixelek and zappaDPJ like this.
  3. deansaliba

deansaliba Regular Member

For me it had to be the 00s. I still miss Ikonboard. :(

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I completely agree so I voted 'other' as there's no beer option :)

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Regular Member

I believe forums still drive surfers' attention but now it's necessary a bigger effort to build a community and keep it active because of the social networking sites that have distorted the perception that people had about forums.

I didn't know how the forums were before 1999, when I first came online, but I would say that forums and chat rooms had their gold age era withing 2000 and 2006, then their popularity began to drop, but whoever want to run a successful forum community can still do it because new forum software provide extra functionality that old forums did not have and this is plus fighting the enemy; social networks.

6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

If you want to see some examples of forums/forum like networks in each era:

1980s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#Network

1990s

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind9805&L=crit-geog-forum#1

I also hear Ezboard and Bravenet were started around this time, although I can't find examples.

Early 00s

https://web.archive.org/web/20000818054823/http://www.bulbagarden.com/forum/

https://web.archive.org/web/20020811090148/http://www.ganonstower.com/forums/index.php

https://web.archive.org/web/20030218195005/http://pub80.ezboard.com/blemmyslandforum

Fun fact: The last one (Lemmy's Land) still looks like it's in the early 00s (or maybe mid 90s) as far as layout goes.

7. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Making money is harder than it used to be. Mostly because mobile has exploded. The mid 2000's were very good to me. Now it takes a bit more work unless you just have ungodly traffic numbers.

For instance, in November of 2007 I pulled in almost $2,000 in one day with Google adsense and various other networks with just 67,000 uniques. Don't think that would be possible today.

I used to be able to game Digg and Netscape.com as well but those aren't possible anymore. Reddit traffic doesn't click ads.

8. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

Quote me on this, but Reddit Gold idea is genius for forums.

9. BamaStangGuy

We plan to do something similar in the future.

10. petertdavis

petertdavis Old Timer

yet Reddit is still massively hemorrhaging money.

11. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Hmm...is it me, or would an experienced forum user be saying, "Wait a sec, I now have to pay for these features, which were free all along?"

Reddit never had them and thus has user pain points, so now they are making money off of the improvements to those pain points, which is their right to do so, however, 80% of the things they are offering are already a part of any good forum software. I can't imagine anyone doing something like, "Hey guys and gals, remember that nice display in the new posts search that let you know which posts are new since your last visit or the ability to go to the next unread post in any thread? Well, we're removing those features and if you want them back, guess what, you'll have to pay for them."

Yes, there are other functionalities or even content users could pay for and that concept of monetization isn't really new. vB has had the ability to offer more functionality and content with paid subscriptions for a long time.

As for the Gold Partner idea. That is a bit interesting. But isn't that just free advertising with a bonus to the users to attract them to the partner offers? Ooooooh, Mayonnaise.....O.o

Maybe I am wrong in my understandings about what Reddit Gold is all about too. So if I am, I'd like to learn more.:)

Oh, and I still don't get what is so great about Reddit either. If someone could explain that to me, I'd be very greatful. No, honestly, I really would.:)

Scott

12. s.molinari

I also voted "Other". I think the intrinsic value forums offer (the good ones), is much greater than today's social networks and thus forums are still going strong. Forums are also social networks and have been since they started. They are the better social networks. The only problem with them is, they aren't networked enough.;)

Scott

13. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

There are also a zillion more forums now so you could say this is the "Golden Age" when it comes to numbers.

14. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

I don't either. Every time I see a link to a reddit thing all I see is long nasty threaded discussions like from the before time. It just looks old to me.

15. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

Thats exactly true :) Almost every (serious) scriptmaker is doing its best to develop their scripts as far as their imagination goes :) New versions are released very often and contain many many new (sometimes not as useful) features :)

fattony69 likes this.
  16. BamaStangGuy

17. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 Regular Member

Forums were doing the best in the mid to late 2000's, before social media got popular. Social Media has taken away alot of activity that would otherwise be done on forums. Now people can just debate and discuss with people on facebook pages.

18. BamaStangGuy

Privacy concerns are going to keep social media sites like that on the back burner when it comes to being searchable content, which is what forums excel at.

too_cool_3 likes this.
  19. s.molinari

Sorry, but since when can you hold a decent open discussion or debate on Facebook? Their commenting system doesn't allow it really, because, once more than a few people try to comment on each others posts, it gets really messy.

Scott

too_cool_3 likes this.
  20. BamaStangGuy

Facebook isn't a concern. They are now at the mercy of their investors. Sooner or later they will have to start answering to them when the next big thing happens.

Enthusiasts like us will keep on going.

too_cool_3 likes this.