When did trolls/idiots online become such a big deal for everyone?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by CM30, Feb 22, 2014.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I swear, about five or so years ago, no one gave a toss about how people behaved online. Was someone a troll? Yeah, they're pathetic. Ignore their ass and block them on any forum you're on. Did someone say mean things on the internet? So, they're just a twit trying to wind people up or take advantage of the fact their target isn't near them. Block them and move on.

But now, it seems half the news seems to be about some 'evil' behaviour on the internet. Like all those articles about celebrities and Twitter threats and hate. Or articles on gaming industry sites about how to 'manage your social media without having a break down'. Or the long rants about how sexist/racist/classist/whatever random people on the internet supposedly are.

When did this all come about? When did people stop blocking and ignoring trolls and bullies online and decide it was some sort of global evil epidemic that needed to be fought?

Because while I won't defend the vile behaviour of certain people online, I do feel a lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. That certain people have way too thin a skin nowadays and seem to take everything far too personally.

Did the special snowflake crap cause everyone to have a break down the minute someone took a disliking to them? Are the old print media and politicians trying their hardest to destroy the social media and the internet by making it look worse than it is?

Since when did complaints about Twitter/Facebook/internet forum hordes/whatever become such a big deal and why?

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I think because there are so many more users online now than in the past we have more personalities. Alon with that comes more trolls and it becomes a lot harder to block them all.

3. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

I don't know but I see where your coming from. People do complain about it a lot more now than they did when I first joined the internet world. Maybe people are just more aware of it? I'm not sure.

Honestly though, I've never really come across any trolls or idiots online and if they do then I block them. Simple as.

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

A couple of theories....

1. The Internet is becoming more of what it should be. A public place for people to "meet". Thus, more people get upset, when the "peace" is messed with and there are too many people badly in need of attention, who are glad to hide behind their monitors to do their disturbing of the peace.

2. Yellow journalism is gaining traction, because of this Internet "meeting place". Normal news just doesn't cut it anymore, but rather, things have to be reported about and in a certain ways, so it reaches people, who have attention spans of hyperactive chimpanzees, which is an incorrect belief driving the sensationalism IMHO and a current sickness in the media.

So, yes, the problem of poor behavior on the Internet is more poignant than in the past, but also blown out of proportion by any reporting of it.

Scott

5. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

The second one is a point I probably should have considered. Journalism and news is in a pretty poor state nowadays, and it definitely loves turning every little issue in an 'end of the world' level disaster. It's especially accurate about gaming news, which is currently in a state best described as 'tabloid level yellow journalism too extreme for the Daily Mail or Sun'.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'hit driven' culture had something to do with the latter. The belief a story is better if it shocks as many people as possible and gets a ton of angry reactions.

I'm not sure anonymity or attitude changes have much to do with it though. I mean, I visit a ton of gaming sites where this sort of thing is and these articles are endemic, and the attitudes from the anonymous trolls and not anonymous trolls aren't particularly different. Sites that require a 'real' name (like Gamasutra and Gamesindustry) often have just as much of a horrible attitude in the comments and discussion as those that don't (like IGN, Gamespot or Kotaku).

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Trolls are the worst these days. Specially with all the Dossin of sites from them. They cost people lots of money daily. I am a member of a site that has been Dossed for a solid week now because a troll was banned. And they just do it because they can or for the lulz. I really hate those type of people. It continues to get worst and worst because there is no consequences for these people

Dan Hutter likes this.
  7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I agree this is one of the problems of the internet. Many times there is little or no accountability for those that transgress.

I am not a tech so do not know the workings, but I was told that at least one Ddos attack was once redirected to another site.

If the perpetrator has a site, this would seem like poetic justice.

8. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

I don't seem to have to deal with trolls these days.

9. Cerberus

This is why trolls are gay. Look at 22.20 over 40 gigs of packets coming in Ddossin the server. Shit is pointless. But, they do it all day long. Hopefully now that they have been reported the authorities will do something, but doubtful...And this is a server behind cloudflare protection. This is just what is getting through, so who knows how much they are really sending

3a08a2141be9e5878cf5eb0ea41be02a.png

10. s.molinari

@Cerberus - out of curiosity, does your hoster somehow decipher the Ddos packets from normal traffic or do you end up getting charged for it or are you still under your traffic limit?

Scott

11. Cerberus

In most cases you would get charged for the extra bandwidth. This is not my server, I just help out on the site. But, they have a dedicated server, so there is no extra charge, but they do charge everytime they have to replace a node due to the traffic knocking it out or breaking it.

12. s.molinari

Thanks. That kind of information is interesting for me to know.

Scott

13. Big al

Big al Regular Member

If a website was attacked and Ddosssed, would extra bandwidth charges accrue after the host had been informed?

14. Cerberus

I imagine it depends on the host. Some of them are more than happy to work with you, others not so much. I know hosts like Host Gator and such if you are continuously Ddossed they will suspend and at times cancel your account. I never liked that approach to penalize the site owner for something out of their control. But, this seems to be the new age troll method. Lots of major Ddoss attacks across the web for the lulz. Stupidest shit ever in my opinion

Big al likes this.
  15. Adrian Schneider

Adrian Schneider Regular Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    Personally, I haven't seen much change. My first forum was a gaming site, and we had hackers, people DDOS'ing us and constant trolling since (more or less) day one. I think it's just a matter of who your audience is. Some are more prone than others.

One thing that has gotten better is the technology, or more specifically, the availability of it. It's pretty easy, and often cheap, to make a mess of things.

Big al likes this.
  16. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
  17. Big al

Big al Regular Member

It is true that Denial of service attacks are illegal, in a similar way that hacking is illegal and some people who do these acts are jailed. Information about these illegal acts have in the past been passed along to the authorities for them to check, with positive results.

Fortunately I have never hacked nor taken part in any DDos activity, but I have reported some who have.​

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/?s=is hacking illegal

I did read some time back that it was possible to pay certain people to launch a DDos attack for a "start up fee" initially and then a smaller fee per day to keep running it.
    I think as you say, the technology may have improved since then.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  18. Cerberus

Very rarely does anything happen to them. And you can call it what you want, but it is considered the newest form of trolling. When they are banned, it is what they do for fun. They waste people's money because they can and hardly if ever face the consequences and in most cases they pay people to do it. There is about a 1% chance that the person doing it will ever face any penalty for their acts. Just because there is a law it does not mean anything. All laws are pointless. If you want to kill someone, you go out and do it. Law does not stop the act it just enforces the will of those who control said law.

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    It's not trolling anymore than murder is the newest forum of boxing.

20. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

That doesn't mean it's not a form of trolling. Nowhere does it say all methods of trolling are actually legal.