What's happening with vBulletin Germany?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Jan 4, 2014.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I know they apparently can't sell vBulletin licenses due to some change of attitude by Internet Brands, and that Scott Molinari is running a new company dedicated to a new community script/service, but... does anyone know what's actually going on with the site itself?

Is the forum going to be kept up as a general vBulletin 'support' forum, even if it is only an unofficial one? Is it being closed down at some point due to lack of ties with vBulletin.com and lack of interest from the owners?

What exactly is the plan over there now? Because I can't read German, and I'm just curious what the actual plans are for the whole site/setup...

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Scott can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought I remember him saying he would keep it open and keep supporting vbulletin 3 and vbulletin 4.

CM30 likes this.
  3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I haven't heard of that myself, but it sounds perfectly reasonable. Thanks for the post!

Now let's see if Scott himself can give some more information on this matter too...

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Hi,

This is the news from the horses mouth!:D (need a horses mouth smiley;))

We have stopped the ticket support for vB4 Suite (and obviously any other ticket support for other versions) at the beginning of this month. We are only accepting tickets for license holder changes, which we are obliged to do according to EU law. We are also changing customer data (e-mail) per request. However, technical issues aren't being worked on for the most part.

That said, we still release any security updates (like the last YUI/ Flash Uploader issue) and should IB release a new version, we will also release it too, as the German version.

We have also taken over the data from IB for the forum, moved it to our server and we will keep the community forum open until the interest among the customers to help each other dies. We monitor/ moderate the forum and Pogo is still quite active on it in his free/ spare time.

Scott

CM30, jmurrayhead and AWS like this.
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the clarification Scott.

I'll look for a horses mouth smiley and add it.;)

jmurrayhead likes this.
  6. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    It's a shame that it has come to this. From what I can tell, German customers received some top-notch support over at vBGermany.

7. s.molinari

Yeah, it is a shame. We did our best and I do believe we did a good job. We had 2 figure growth all the way up to 2009 and it was all down hill after that, unfortunately.

This whole deal with vBulletin "dying" is actually good. Without it, we probably wouldn't have decided to go at it on our own. We're working on something new and special. Not everyone will be liking our concepts and direction with PaaS, but it is unique and we will be able to do things "the others" can only dream about, which means opportunity for community owners who decide to work on our platform. It's going to be cool.:cool:

Scott

CM30 and jmurrayhead like this.
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well something new is good and if it means more competition that is good to that makes others work harder as well as the new comer.

9. s.molinari

Exactly!:)

Good and fair competition is always healthy, for the companies themselves and especially for the customers.

Scott

10. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Just be careful that you don't get sued by Internet Brands or something. After all, they tried to bully XenForo into shutting down with a bogus lawsuit, so they seem to have something against people who 'turn against' them.

11. s.molinari

Hehe... I never turned against them (and although I criticize them, I am still not against them). They actually just cancelled our contract without reason.

Scott

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well that's why CM30 is warning you a company as Internet Brands/vBulletin does not really care who did what.

13. s.molinari

Yeah, I know and CM30's warning has merit. But, there isn't anything anyone can do about questionably led companies, who seem to think suing their competition for reasons other than ones with true legal merit is a correct thing to do. If it happens, we'll have to simply handle it.

Scott

14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

15. s.molinari

Yeah, but you know why that happens? Because almost all people have short term/ make themselves happy thinking. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. It's "get pleasure now over or despite knowing pain will come later". It is ingrained our psyche as a human race and unfortunately, also a big issue with us too. It causes the climate to change negatively. It causes stupid presidents to get elected. It causes CEO's to not think past the next quarter. I causes millions upon millions of people to go into too much consumer debt. The list of results for our "pleasure before pain" psyche is long and ugly. I don't want to say, we are all bad for it. We just need to see it for what it is and try and go through a bit more pain and restraint short term, in order to have actually more pleasure later.

Scott