What sorts of inexpensive items can you get to promote your forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've been wondering what sort of inexpensive items I can have printed with my forum logo to distribute... that people will actually use. On one forum I make a personalized logo button for anyone who requests one, but that wouldn't work for all forums. Many forums sell or give out t-shirts or caps, but do they actually get worn by anyone other than yourself? Any interesting ideas out there?

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Pens, Key rings, Hats, Shirts, Hoodies, Mugs, there are many inexpensive items to promote the forum.

I'd give him to a few dedicated members and let them do it for some time; if any results, move on to CafePress and sell the items.

3. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Stickers....

I just did a run of 500 stickers with the forum logo and they are going out like mad. It's creating buzz. people love the fact I get them out quick. Its's getting time for a show us your sticker thread to see the interesting places they are being stuck too.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Now that is a unique idea.

Even better, I like that you're also going to make a thread for members to show where they've stuck them.

Very good way to keep the members interacting.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Car magnets :) My members love them

6. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Mentioned in another thread - if your topic has gatherings/conventions, name tags with the forum logo, url, member name and real name. Available to everyone, member or not.

I found a great cost on lots of photo-insert thin mousepads, with the forum color and logo around the photo like a frame.

One I haven't done yet but am thinking about for the largest convention(s) - you know those cloth grocery bags you can buy at the store, instead of using plastic bags? Those can be ordered with an imprint for a good cost each. Handing those out where people are picking up stuff and buying stuff would get the forum into the hands of a lot of non-members as well as members. And people are often grateful for something with a handle to tote all the stuff they collect at conventions.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

How many do you send to each member? Do you charge for them or send them out free?

8. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I use them as incentives. Right now the incentive is to help fill in a tool I've created to make it easy to search for wheels. For each set of wheels a member add's I'll send them a sticker. Most that add multiple sets just ask for one sticker. Within a week I had just over 100 new entries into the database, not bad with a member base of almost 600. The day I announced the offer resulted in the highest traffic count ever on the site and I'm still living on that bounce. More members are posting more often and it's quality posts too.

I send them out on my dime unless they want extras. Those I charge just enough to cover the cost of the sticker and paypal fees. I've had people ask me to sell and I've refused since I want to keep these as incentives.

9. kev

kev Regular Member

Book marks - hand them out for free at the local library.

Magnetic signs - for the side of your truck or car.

Business cards - visit trade shows and hand them out.

Bumper stickers - and send them to your members.

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Umm,, for an anime forum I;d think nendoriods, manga, etc.

But for other kinds of forums, Shirts, key chains, well, everything mentioned above.

11. KW802

KW802 Regular Member

Some good ideas, but what vendors are being used to purchase the items from?

12. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I purchase all my stickers from one of my site sponsors, Cooper Flags

13. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Hopefully, you are encouraging them to stick them to legal places. Nothing is more of a turn off than to drive down a street and seeing litter and advertising plastered all over everything.

14. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Where did you order stickers from?

15. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Being the forum is for MINI Coopers and MINI owners just love to add stickers and badges to their cars I'm not real worried that these are finding their way to lamp posts and street signs. But I do understand where you are coming from.

16. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Umm...look up ^ Post #12

17. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Sorry :o